Poison ivy???

dogginfox

Leafing Out
Joined
Feb 11, 2008
Messages
36
Reaction score
0
Points
22
Location
Athens, Ga Zone 7B
Being a student I havent had much time to work in the yard for quite some time. This year I have made time to get things under control well I have this vine growing on a fence and at first glance early in the spring i thought it might be a muscadine vine. Today I saw it was sprouting leaves and well it looks like poison ivy to me what do you think?

Sorry for the blurry pics





 

Tink

Leafing Out
Joined
Mar 9, 2008
Messages
44
Reaction score
0
Points
22
I would say no.....but dont take my word for it. Ivy that I have in my yard....the stock part has little finger things that come off of it. Yours has nothing...
Tink
 

mooman

Chillin' In The Garden
Joined
Apr 10, 2008
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
Points
31
Ok first some input, then another question to add

It looks to me like you have two different plants. Poison ivy and some other type of vine. Second pic down, hairy vine on right is telltail old mature PI vine. Smaller vines that leaves appear to be coming out of lookes like younger PI vine. Large vine in the center appears to be some kind of wild grape as you surmised.

Are the leaves actually coming out of the large central vine, or are they coming from the smaller vines?


My question: I have an old barn that was literally being eaten by poison ivy. Previous owner did an ok job of cutting the base back so it is no longer alive, but there are tons of vines left. How long does the oil stay active for after plant is dead. Please, no guesses on this one.
 

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
2,537
Reaction score
1
Points
153
Location
Ontario, Canada
I'm with mooman. The things with leaves, including the vines with a zillion little wiggly hairy-lookin' things coming out of them, sure do look like poison ivy. The larger vines with the linear peely bark look like some sort of grape.

Mooman, I know that people regularly put themselves in hospital by inhaling smoke from fire or campfire wood that had poison ivy vines growing on it, so evidently the answer is "at least some while". I know that isn't real exact ;)

Pat
 

bluebird

Garden Ornament
Joined
Nov 22, 2007
Messages
102
Reaction score
0
Points
94
Location
Zone 5B Indiana
That sure IS poison Ivy! I can spot that stuff a mile away! Make sure you wear gloves when removing it, and do NOT burn! Its a very nasty plant that the devil put here!

You can spray a herbicide on it like Roundup- and make sure its for WOODY vines. You can even cut it and brush some on. Whatever you do---BE CAREFUL! I speak from bad experiences! :rant
 

dogginfox

Leafing Out
Joined
Feb 11, 2008
Messages
36
Reaction score
0
Points
22
Location
Athens, Ga Zone 7B
Thanks for the replies everyone, I have cut back half of the "Grape Vines" and sprayed all the newish small leaves with Roundup for Poison Ivy, I am going to try and slowly cut most of it away this summer so maybe one of the grapes will have a better chance next year.
 

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Joined
Apr 4, 2008
Messages
248
Reaction score
0
Points
88
Are poison oak and poison ivy pretty much the same as far sa removal is concerned? Will something that kills one kill the other?

Cassandra
 

mooman

Chillin' In The Garden
Joined
Apr 10, 2008
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
Points
31
I'm pretty sure it will. they are both members of the same genus if I'm not mistaken. As for my question about length of time the oil stays active....internet research says anywhere from one year to 100 years!!! Guess I'll just let my grandkids pick up the pile of vines I cleaned off my barn roof :D
 

S0rcy

Chillin' In The Garden
Joined
Apr 9, 2008
Messages
62
Reaction score
0
Points
33
Location
Willamette Valley Oregon
Poison Ivy and Poison oak both do have the same oil with pretty much the same reaction though it varies from person to person. Personally I am not reactive to either of them. I can handle them freely and never get a rash. My son however breaks out just being within breathing distance.

The fastest and best treatment I've seen so far is a product called Tecnu.

http://www.tecnuextreme.com/index.htm

I have seen it everywhere where I live, pharmacies, kmart, walmart, supermarkets.

Do remember to wash immediately all the clothes that were worn when handling the plants. Don't allow them to come into contact with carpets, furniture or other clothes.

Round up works well on both the ivy and oak that I have witnessed.
 

whatnow?

Chillin' In The Garden
Joined
Apr 16, 2008
Messages
91
Reaction score
0
Points
33
Location
SE PA
That sucker is vintage... huge! The hairy trunks are the bad stuff. The other looks like some sort of grade variety or other climbing vine. For stuff like that, I would cut a section of the trunk out and let it die back. Then, well covered, I would cut pieces off and bag it for the trash. I've heard that the oil can last up to three years in the vines. I don't have the patience to wait even a week.

Our local parks department doesn't manage PI and it grows up the trees along the trails. By late summer, you have to turn sideways to get down the path without touching the branches coming off of the monster vines. I've thought about bringing lopping shears to the park, but I'm afraid someone will have a heart attack over seeing me cutting down the native vegetation. :lol:
 

Latest posts

Top