Pole beans and chickens...

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am thinking about putting up some cattle panel on one end of the garden to keep the chickens out of it until "I" decide they can go in. I was planning to plant the peas and pole beans on the inside of the panels...do you think the chickens would be able to do too much damage to them from the outside? Or do you think it might work out ok. I know once they got bigger, they didn't bother them at all last year when I turned them into the garden. I am just worried about when they first come up and start climbing.

We can't plant here until Mid June usually...I think its going to be a LONG winter!

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
well, fiddlesticks! I guess I will move on to plan B!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not so fast... I plant pole beans along the fence in my chicken yard, with no problem. The trick for me has to plant the seeds far enough away from the fence- that the birds can't reach in and get them. The first time I tried this, they ate the bean seeds! Now I plant about 8 inches from the fence and they don't bother the beans or the plants. It has worked out fine for me. Give it a try!

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
planting that far away they would still reach to the fence and climb, or did you have to tie them to get them started?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
It takes a little while, but they find their way to the fence. If I happen to think about it, I help them along a little, by aiming the stems toward the fence (but I doubt this is necessary!)

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I shall definitely try it then, worst case scenario is the chickens will have to stay in or be diverted somewhere else! Thanks!

Latest posts