Pole Beans Not Flowering

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
My Blue Lake pole beans are beautiful plants, about 7 feet tall and lush, but not a single blossom yet. I haven't used high nitrogen fertilizer; just chicken compost and fish emulsion once. Could it be the weather keeping them from blooming, or do they really take that much longer than bush beans? I planted around the middle of May; forgot to write it down.:barnie

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
They often take that long for me. This year, I am already getting some, but I planted in April. Usually I plant in May. Many years it is August before the blue lake pole beans start to produce for me here.

I've started planting some bush beans to eat on while waiting for the blue lake pole beans. I don't think you can beat the blue lake pole bean flavor, but they can be slow to start.

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ridgerunner, that is what we do, plant bush beans to eat on while waiting for the pole beans. We have finished off our first bush beans and our pole beans will be ready next week and boy are they producing! If nothing happens to them we should have a bumper crop. Then, what did Mom do, planted more bush beans yesterday morning.

First time ever I can remember 5 different plantings of corn. We are on our second freezing today.

Going to be a great garden year even though a drought is happening. Our water bill shows it big time!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I canned 14 pints off my first corn planting and have another 4 plantings to go. The grasshoppers are eating the silks off the corn's second planting. I don't know if it got pollinated or not.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think you over fertilized your beans. Three years ago I planted green beans and I dug the soil in real good with lots of horse manure compost. We had vines like crazy all summer long and finally in the fall, we got beans. Second year, same thing. I was told by some 80+year old people (old farmers) at church that beans like poor dirt. This is the third year and I have never added any more compost or any kind of fertilizer and we have lots and lots of BEANS!! You will probably get beans in the fall, don't give up! And don't fertilize next year and see what happens!

7949_long_beans.jpg

schmije

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Our pole beans are always slow to produce too, but once they start, they go crazy. We have huge vines going up the trellis, but no blooms yet. Our bush beans were planted a few weeks later, and they're starting to have small beans now. DH is dying for the first green beans of the season, since they're his favorite :)

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Remember that if the soil the beans are growing in has the proper organisms to populate the roots they need no nitrogen at all in the fertilizer. They get all the nitrogen they need from those nodules on the plant roots. They are full of bacteria that are in a symbiotic relationship with the plants. The beans feed them and in turn they provide nitrogen to the vines. The system works best if there is a high organic content in your soil.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, it's been over a month since I started this thread. The beans started blooming shortly after -maybe the week after. They have blooming like crazy, growing taller, while losing leaves around the bottom. And guess what? Still no beans!! The flowers keep moving farther out the vines, making an imaginary handful of beans at each spot, if only they would set. Oh wait, I have 1 bean. It has been one inch long for over a week. We have had probably 4 inches of rain here in the last two and 1/2 weeks. Weather is hot, but not up to 105 like it was, just around 98. Tomatoes and cukes are blooming again. Anyone else having this problem? Do you think it is weather related? Does anyone have any green beans to sell? :barnie

Latest posts