Poor tomatoes

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
What's eating my beautiful tomatoes? I thought the pest had moved on until I found this this morning. HelpView attachment 32898
That was definitely eaten by an animal. you need to check on your surroundings for a possible solution, traps and all.. good luck. such a waste of beautiful fruit.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would not expect mice for sure and probably not rats to eat that much. Their stomachs are not that big. I can't think of anything small enough to climb up there and eat that much that would not break the plant down. But I'm guessing, sort of thinking out loud. Maybe someone has seen that kind of damage from something small.

Four feet high. I'd expect a raccoon to not be that delicate, the fruit would be picked or he'd break the plant down. A groundhog, maybe. I'd lean more toward deer.
Second deer. Deer are known to eat things gently and not take them off of plant.

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That was definitely eaten by an animal. you need to check on your surroundings for a possible solution, traps and all.. good luck. such a waste of beautiful fruit.
By growing flowering plants near your vegetable garden, you'll attract beneficial insects that kill tomato plant pests. These "good bugs" include parasitic wasps, which eat lay eggs in and kill tomato hornworms and leafminer larvae, as well as aphid-eating ladybugs and slug-eating large beetles.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Second deer. Deer are known to eat things gently and not take them off of plant.
Third that. A ground hog would take it down first, then eat the whole thing - and come back for more. Deer bite pieces off, they've done that here to squash and pumpkins.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Third that. A ground hog would take it down first, then eat the whole thing - and come back for more. Deer bite pieces off, they've done that here to squash and pumpkins.
@Zeedman Then we had some pretty tricky groundhogs. They would not tear down the plant, just took a bite out of EVERY Fruit / veg. on the plant. We knew it was groundhogs when we caught them in the act!

Latest posts