Poppy planting

pinkflower

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm in CT (not sure what zone) and want to plant some poppies. I have some nice poppy seeds (from very pretty poppies) and want to get them started indoors. When is the best time to start planting them?? You don't have to plant poppies in winter or fall do you? Any other advice on poppies would be appreciated! :thumbsup

Thanks!
S. :rainbow-sun

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have started my poppies inside in pots now, and will transplant outside end of march. I filled a pot with seed moss and made little wells/rows and then put the seeds in those.

I'm not sure when you should plant yours outside, I'm thinking probably May.

I used to live in CT and I can't remember how we did all our planting there... I just know we used to start everything inside at my grandma's house!

pinkflower

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks! :rainbow-sun

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You don't have to start poppies inside. You could just sprinkle the seed outside in your bed in the Spring.
Just pop your seed packet into the freezer overnight before you plant them. :happy_flower

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just sprinkle them on the ground in late January here. They come up like crazy and reseed themselves every year. If I don't get the seed pods picked off soon enough.

Just for grins one year I planted the poppy seed you use on the top of bread. I got a bumper crop of poppies!! They were mostly a light lavendar with a darker center. Here is a photo of them with a very young Spartacus.

SmellingFloweremail.jpg

He loves to smell flowers! That is one thing we have taught him to do on command, "Only smell." It makes for great photos!! And helps him not to just grab treats from you.

pinkflower

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Wow, what a nice picture! Ok, a couple questions- why would you have to freeze the seeds before planting them?? And what kind of soil condition does there have to be to sprinkle the seeds down? And how long would it take for them to grow if I just sprinkled them outside? Would I like just sprinkle the seeds down after rototilling and they would bloom in time for summer? We still have snow on the ground here, but I have heard that you can sprinkle them in the last snowfall and they would grow good. Is that possible?

Thanks for answering my 1,000,000 questions!! :rainbow-sun

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I stole this from http://www.theflowerexpert.com/content/aboutflowers/wildflowers/wild-flower-seed

Winter is reported to have been the best time for planting the wild flower seeds. The idea of planting wild flower seeds in winter makes sense because the soil is still not frozen but the freezing and thawing of the air will help the seeds break dormancy and begin the establishment of basil rosettes of leaves that will later anchor lovely wild flowers like gaillardia, larkspur, poppies and coneflowers. This is how many perennials look the first year but sowing wild flower seeds in winter will increase their chances of blooming the first year. Many flowers seeds need the gradual cooling and warming of the soil to germinate, in fact there are many flowers like larkspur, batchelors' button, corn poppies, Coreopsis, all looking for soil which is first hot (when the seeds drop to the ground in summer), then cooling to colder conditions before they can germinate.
I have heard that you can sprinkle them in the last snowfall and they would grow good
You might not have to freeze them. You could just chill them or sprinkle them in the last snowfall. I've just always sprinkled them in the Fall or popped them in the freezer before planting in the Spring.

Latest posts