Porchalaca??

okiemommy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
someone from the BYC told me that the pretty flowering form of portulaca is not edible and can make you very sick...even possibly death....I would read up on the edible vs non edible kind and positively identify which ones you have before you eat any.

KayRI

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I've been weeding the wild- edible variety out of my garden like crazy. I don't even know where they come from as I don't believe I ever let it go to seed, but boy, it is all over the place. good thing they come up easy when small.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
okiemommy said:
someone from the BYC told me that the pretty flowering form of portulaca is not edible and can make you very sick...even possibly death....I would read up on the edible vs non edible kind and positively identify which ones you have before you eat any.
No, that's not true. Portulaca species are not poisonous. The ornamental kind doesn't taste very good and may have higher levels of oxalic acid, however, all of the portulacas are high in the omega 3 fatty acids and are actually a good source of them - provided you aren't sensitive to the oxalic acid.

lavacaw

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
They don't need to be in a north facing area...mine are in the full Texas summer sun and growing like weeds...just don't like wet feet! They are the one flower I depend on for summer color.

okiemommy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
No, that's not true. Portulaca species are not poisonous. The ornamental kind doesn't taste very good and may have higher levels of oxalic acid, however, all of the portulacas are high in the omega 3 fatty acids and are actually a good source of them - provided you aren't sensitive to the oxalic acid.
hmm maybe that's what they were getting at. I wish I could remember who had said it or what thread it was on, then I could go back and read it.

ETA I probably misunderstood them.

Latest posts