Portland,OR fruit trees

xival knievel

Sprout
Reaction score
Hi, I am looking for some advice on what fruit trees would do well in the Portland, OR are climate. I was hoping that some fellow Oregonians would chime in to help! Preferably I would like a low maintenance tree, and not apples. I would LOVE an avocado tree. Please list as many suggestions as you feel may be appropriate! We have an acre that could be dedicated to the tree(s) (no other plants). Thanks a million!
-Kerry

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am sorry to say that Avocado will not do well outside in Oregon. Have lived here all my life.(near Portland)
:D

Oregon weather can support all types of apple, cherry, pear, apricot and plum. We cannot grow banana or anything else that needs weather like the southern states.

There are some varieties of plants like lemon that you can grow indoors but I am not sure what species they are and if you really can get a crop that is worth eating.

The upkeep on them is not too bad(apples etc). If you have an acre you might want to go ahead and try. From what I am hearing, the fruit crops this year were affected by our late frost and we may have a lot less this year-translates into expensive apples for fall.(and cherries and peaches) If you can grow them-I would. :bun

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think you can grow apricots and some varieties of peaches, but I'd guess that pear, apple, and plum would probably be easier.

tinychicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I live outside Amity at a 1040 foot elevation. We have old established apples and pears that do very well. Last year we added a few more trees: Plums (lost one), peaches, nectarine, and more apples and pears. My neighbor has been here a while and he told me at this elevation, apricots/peaches/nectarines are a real gamble....unfortunately. He has very good luck with cherries.

I would like to see plant catalogs take elevation into account when they prepare their zone maps, because my conditions here sure are different than at the bottom of the mountain. Okay, maybe more of a huge hill. :)

There are so many microclimates you really can't be sure until you give something a try, although I agree about the avocado. Pick up a couple of fruit trees at you garden center or Costco and give it a shot. If you're a fruit lover and the trees don't make it, you still have blueberries, strawberries, raspberries........

I forgot to mention, figs grow really well, too.

poppycat

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi Xival,
I too would LOVE an avacado tree, but It's not meant to be here :(

If I had an acre (lucky!!!) available to me I would plant peaches, apricots, maybe an apple or two. I think you might want to check the Sunset Western Gardening book for some of the particulars. Different trees have specific pollination requirements as well as site preferences.

Figs are definitely worth growing IF you like them. They don't automatically grow into the classic tree shape unless you train them that way.

Blueberries are also good and easy, but they are shrubs at best.

Good luck, it sounds like you have a nice piece of land.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Welcome, Xival!

I'm not in Oregon, but think that Raintree Nursery would be a great resource for you! They can definitely get you not only what you need, but help you with varieties, needed pollinators....which some fruit trees need, etc.

Also, I'd consider some berries, perhaps! :)

Good luck! :)