Pot Size for tomato seedlings?

SandRun

Sprout
Reaction score
I usually start seedlings in a newspaper pot. Does anyone else do this, and if so do you leave them in the newspaper pots until you plant them in the garden. I've been repotting them as they grow, but it's such a pain. Should I just start out with bigger pots or is leaving them in the newspaper pots OK?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure what to tell you about newspaper pots - I have no experience with them.

I start tomato seeds in a common container and then transplant the seedlings into a flat with a 48 cell insert. Those cells are individually about 1 1/2" by 2 1/2".

If the cold weather lingers, I need to pot up into a larger size so as to keep them from becoming root-bound. I usually use 4" pots at that time.

All of these plastic containers last for a number of years.

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought I had the same great idea-after doing some research, it seems that transplanting from smaller to bigger is very important to strengthen the root system....I was hoping to just plant in a big pot and directly plant it in the garden...Good luck! Let us know how you do...

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I do a similar process to what Steve has described above. We used wooden crates, then separate out individual seedlings into cells that are about 4inches deep by 2x2" or so. And they're fine until we set them out 4-6 weeks later.

I have used the newspaper pots in the past and haven't been too satisfied with them in the past. Tend to fall apart too early and just too much work, IMO.

As long as they are lasting the entire time you need them and the roots are not being exposed too much on the outside or bottom, or being bound inside then you should be fine.

Carlos

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You really don't *have* to repot tomatoes just to get more roots... although it is a fairly space-saving way of doing it, since they don't occupy as much area under the lights until they are larger and repotted.

Other options include:

start in larger pots, don't do anything fancy, they will still grow ok when planted outside, especially if you plant them "up to their armpits" when you put them out.

or

start in larger pots but with 1/2 depth of soil, gradually hill up as they get taller (same as you would do with potatoes), they will grow some extra roots that way and do a bit better IME than the previously-mentioned strategy.

Honestly, unless you are in a race to get the first tomatoes in the neighborhood, or have a short growing season, I do not think it is especially vital to repot them, they really do grow okay without it.

That said, I start mine in flats or cell-paks and repot them, b/c I *like* repotting and am always short of space under the lights.

JME, good luck, have fun,

Pat

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Honestly, unless you are in a race to get the first tomatoes in the neighborhood, or have a short growing season, I do not think it is especially vital to repot them, they really do grow okay without it.
In my case it is BOTH! LOL

I really don't worry too much about the tomato starters though. They are tough little plants.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I agree with lesa and pat. I have a collection of large yogurt containers--you know, the ones that have about 6 cups worth?--and I like to transplant into those if my tomatoes get too big for the 3" diameter peat or newspaper pots. Really, though, tomatoes are pretty tough. I have bought SO MANY clearance tomato plants over the years that had 3 pot-bound plants, roots "embracing each other in a death grip" in a pot, that I had to soak in water an jiggle for 30 minutes to release, and almost ALL of them survived the abuse.

BTW, :welcome, SandRun!

Latest posts