potato harvest 2014

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:ep:ep:epWow, so jealous. :drool:drool:drool:drool What method did you use to plant, and tend them?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Carol Dee , do you have any problems with potatoes dying back and then regrowing?

The (Dark Red) Norlands were about the first to go down in July, from planting in April. I don't know if that was the Norland variety I had in previous years, or not. I've just learned that there are more than one.

Any storage tips??

Steve
Steve, I do not think so. We tend to plant, weed early, then when plants get big and weeds are abundant, forget them until harvest!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
um french fries, whats your favorite way to eat them?
Baked for the largest ones. Boiled and buttered with some parsley for the new potatoes. Diced and fried with breakfast. Cut up and added to pot roast and in stews. Mashed potatoes are always good. :drool Can you tell we just like potatoes. :)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
:ep:ep:epWow, so jealous. :drool:drool:drool:drool What method did you use to plant, and tend them?

We cut the seed potatoes into pieces. Being sure to have two *eyes* each. Plant *eyes* up in a shallow trench about 1 foot apart. Hill soil over trench. We tend to keep the weeds down until it gets hard to walk in rows then weeds take over. We also tend to ignore them about that time unless we are digging up some *new * potatoes to enjoy early!

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's a great harvest way to go!!!

How many lbs of seed potatoes do you usually purchase to start with?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a great harvest way to go!!!

How many lbs of seed potatoes do you usually purchase to start with?
DH make the purchase and mostly does the planting. This year Grandsons *helped* I think there may have been a about 2 - 3 # ea. Planted 3 rows of white and 3 of red. Each row 30 ft long!

Latest posts