potato help

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I've never grown potatoes before.

I decided to try the "trash bag method" this year and they grew pretty good. I have Kennebec type and something else (not sure). I lost a few to being stupid and not realizing the bag got super hot in the sun and dried out and I'd have to water them daily. Once I figured that out, they grew well.

I know they're supposed to flower and then die and then I wait about 10-14 days to harvest them. Problem is they haven't flowered. Everyone else's around here has flowered and even up north (Aroostook County) has started their harvesting. I don't know what I've done wrong.

I got mad and dug into the bag today and actually found a potato right near the top. So am I all set then to start harvesting?

6992_img_1886.jpg

6992_img_1888.jpg

One last question: How do I store them?

Thanks.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The usual recommended storage temperature for potatoes is in the 40's, degrees F. Keep them out of light. Storing Potatoes at Home, UofI

The potatoes can be harvested at any time. Some varieties rarely or never bloom.

If you think that they have stopped growing . . . or even, if you are just curious - go ahead and see what you've got.

Steve

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
An absolutely fascinating read, thank you. Normally I store my purchased potatoes in the kitchen, either in the lazy susan or in a cabinet. They sprouted really quickly. I know people around here store things in their basement, but mine is humid and I was worried about mildew or rot. Now I know my basement is ideal.

What do you store yours in?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
In my basement, SCGirl.

This is a one hundred year-old house. There is one room that has shelves and a dirt floor. Actually, it is just a gravel floor since it is far below the gravel that we have to call "top soil" and "subsoil," around here.

It isn't perfect and a bit too warm this time of year but fairly good :). I should really put an insulated door between that room and the other part of the basement.

Steve

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Ok, I guess I'm being really dense here but how exactly do you store them in the basement? In a box, with a fox? In a bag, with a hag? No wait, that's my house ;)

I've seen these wooden bins that are super expensive and I'd rather not store them in something like that if I can help it. I've also read wrapping them in newspaper but that seems like a pain.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It was dark and scary down there but after I realized that you wanted specifics, I went down and took a cellphone picture of 1 of the 2 boxes:

2mdbhd.jpg

. . . not even a produce box, just a cardboard box.

Steve

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've been wondering the same thing, for some reason this year none of my potatoes have flowered, i've been worried that i wont get too many potatoes to harvest because of that. But perhaps that's not true.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't think tuber production has much to do with flowering, Greenthumb. It is probably just a "timing" thing.

Potatoes have been grown for millennia as clones. As Dr. Olsen and the others say in that linked information, "Even after harvest, potatoes are still living . . ." I suppose that could be said about seeds, too, but they are offspring.

Few people make any use of actual potato seed from the flowers.

There's a word I'm trying to learn (maybe I'm not trying too hard ;).) It is senescence. When used for potatoes, this synonym for "aging" means that the plant has stopped growing and the above-ground part has begun to die-back. That is the cue for maximum harvest.

The skin begins to toughen on the tubers at this time. This means less damage during harvest. You can also simulate this by going thru the potato patch with your weed-whacker . . . I've done this and then given the tubers 10 days or so to respond by toughening up a bit. It isn't at all necessary tho', especially if you are careful with your digging.

Steve

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I wanted to post proof that they didn't need to flower to produce tubers/taters. And I got a really weird looking one!!! Thanks for the advice.

6992_trash_taters.jpg

6992_weird_tater.jpg

Latest posts