berry_Bob

Leafing Out
Reaction score
this is the first year I have had these on my plants

0804111701a.jpg

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hey Bob - you're gonna have to be a little more descriptive in your posts. Your title says potato seeds but your picture looks like green tomatoes. The tiny black things are not very clear. And I'm not sure what we should be looking for anyway. To top it off, you have it listed in "gardening with animals". Sorry buddy.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
berry_Bob, I had one of my potato plants to bear those little fruits this year, too. I read somewhere that they are poisonous, so I cut mine off and discarded them. Potatoes were growing next to the tomatoes. I don't know if that is a factor or not.

berry_Bob

Leafing Out
Reaction score
yea smiles made an oops putting it in the gardening with animals , the pics are of potato seed pods , you can grow potatoes from these pods but if they are a hybred you don't know what kind of potatoes you will get

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow! In all my years of gardening I have never seen those on potatoes before. They sure look like little tomatoes to me. I hope others join in on this topic and tell us more about them.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I got the impression when reading about growing potatoes (first time growing them, this year) that it was pretty rare to get them to seed like that! I wonder what triggers it.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've never had them seed before, but this year the Maris Piper is loaded.
Apparently certain varieties are more prone to fruiting than others, and weather can also play a part.
They are inedible, lots of solanine in them which is toxic, and they contain little seeds. You could plant them but they won't grow true to the variety they grew on.
Nothing to do with tomatoes.
(Bob, you also have this thread on fruits and vegetables ... ;) )

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have them too! My boyfriend came in the house yesterday and asked me why the potato plants were making berries. I told him (in a know it all voice) that they were flowers, duh.

Then he showed me today what he was talking about, it really looks like small tomatoes on the vine, just like the first post. It is a clump of 3. It's on red chieftans.

Latest posts