potatoes, eggs, and sour cream

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
do you guys put cracker meal and eggs in hashbrowns?
Well, I don't HiD! I put fried eggs ON fried hashbrowns.

I brush the cracker crumbs off the front of my shirt after a meal made up of crackers, a slice of cheddar, cucumber chips in vinegar, and a slice of a big old beefsteak tomato . . . okay, they make a nice breading for fish or eggplant :).

Steve

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The only thing I put in hashbrowns is salt, pepper and potatoes. My mother would boil up a big pot of whole potatoes. Then she would drain and store them in the fridge until she needed to make hashbrowns. Since they were already cooked all she had to do was peel and grate them then give them a good crisping. My dad worked in the oil field all my life and his breakfast every day cosisted of eggs over easy on top of a big mountain of hashbrowns with salsa and either bacon or sausage (he was more of a bacon guy).

I think my very first smell memory was waking up very early one morning and wandering downstairs to the smell of coffee brewing and bacon frying. Mmmmmm, doesn't get much better than that! And Dad shared his breakfast with me :love

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Broke Down Ranch said:
The only thing I put in hashbrowns is salt, pepper and potatoes. My mother would boil up a big pot of whole potatoes. Then she would drain and store them in the fridge until she needed to make hashbrowns. Since they were already cooked all she had to do was peel and grate them then give them a good crisping. My dad worked in the oil field all my life and his breakfast every day cosisted of eggs over easy on top of a big mountain of hashbrowns with salsa and either bacon or sausage (he was more of a bacon guy).

I think my very first smell memory was waking up very early one morning and wandering downstairs to the smell of coffee brewing and bacon frying. Mmmmmm, doesn't get much better than that! And Dad shared his breakfast with me :love
you're making me hungry. [insert lip-smacking emoticon here]

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ok, shouldn't have read this thread first thing in the morning! Now cereal just won't do. Off to make eggs and bacon (no time for potatoes!) :rolleyes:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Broke Down Ranch said:
. . . My mother would boil up a big pot of whole potatoes. Then she would drain and store them in the fridge until she needed to make hashbrowns. Since they were already cooked all she had to do was peel and grate them then give them a good crisping. . . :love
(Felt kind of funny deleting all that you said about your Dad, BDR . . . but notice, I left the love :)!) :hugs

My mom would not grate already boil potatoes, she would slice them (sometimes a little too thickly, but slice them, nonetheless ;)).

After frying, she'd call those "cottage fries" . . . I encourage DW to make these but she's much more inclined to grate raw potatoes.

We'll have latkes today! DS has experience and he texted me that they are good. Urbanite . . . what can I say? Okay, I'll think of something :gig.

It was good to see Greenthumb18 back but I almost responded to his "I like NC" post by saying that the 3 states, WA, ID, MT have a combined population equal to the 1 state of NC. Even after driving thru a couple of times, I didn't realized that NC was so heavily-populated. I thought it might be mean to say that those 3 western states are vastly larger than any single state, except AK :rolleyes:, in land. And, the term "vastly larger" wouldn't really apply comparing to Texas . . . more like, a tad bigger.

Spokane claims that it's the largest city between Seattle and Minneapolis . . . The only logical response is, "You mean there are cities between Seattle and Minneapolis?!?" LOL :lol:

I'm not going to use self-deprecating terms. Someone said that if you brag about yourself, no one will believe you; but if you put yourself down, everyone will believe you. Let's just say that we are somewhat out in the open spaces around here.

Steve