Potatoes in weird weather

Lettuce Lady

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Normally potatoes won't not grow but this year they aren't looking too good. I planted near St. Patrick's Day as usual and so far nothing. Is it the weather? We had a warm, snow less Winter until yesterday when we got the first snow. It's been chilly since they were planted and the store that I got them from kept them inside. Did they get too warm, then too cold? I'm wondering how long I should wait before digging them up and trying new seed potatoes.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Planting date is more a function of soil temperature than calendar date. Soil temperature should be above 45F for rapid emergence and to minimize seed piece decay. Planting in cool soils will likely not get the crop out of the ground earlier than waiting for warmer soil temperatures." University of Idaho

Here's probably a better home garden guide that says the same thing: University of New Hampshire

I measured the temperature of my soil about two weeks ago (when the weather was warm :/). At 2-inches down, it was 41. No doubt, at potato planting depth, it wasn't any warmer! Still, I planted the spuds expecting it to warm up :rolleyes:.

Lettuce Lady, I'm sure that I'm several hundred miles from you, however. And, this is colder country.

I don't know what to say about how long you should wait. If you cut the seed potatoes, they may rot more easily than whole potatoes. Still, anyone who has had a compost pile very long learns that they'll get potato plants from peelings.

It is easy to measure the temperature of soil. You just need a thermometer that if it gets dirty, you don't care.

Steve

old fashioned

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I planted mine about March 1 and haven't seen them break ground yet either. So you're not alone.
What you can do (like I did) is to very carefully unearth them to see what's going on. I planted mine whole and they were still fine and were starting to grow sprouts, so I replanted just not quite as deep as before.
I'm thinking in this cooler weather they are just taking their own sweet time!

Lettuce Lady

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, glad to hear I'm not alone. Since potatoes have grown in my worm bin, compost pile and storage drawer I figure potatoes are quite invincible but it was just too cold this Spring. I took the temp yesterday and the soil was just over 45F after warming up all day in the sun. Think I'll throw a cold frame on top of them to speed up the process.

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Give them awhile yet, I think mine took 6 weeks last year. Maybe just plant them a little later next year.

You could also dig gently around in there and see how they look, you won't hurt them if you are gentle because they have big sprouts.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just took a potato growing class this a.m. from our local CSA. I'm in zone 7 (7b) and we are to plant early season varieties about the first week of May, and late season storage ones in late June. He said that its an old wives tale about planting on St Pattys day (which I'd never heard of anyway...).

We get to 100+ in Aug and Sept, yet today its only about 40F, with a storm coming in. Our last frost date is theoretically May 20th.

Its all new to me for sure!

Lettuce Lady

Leafing Out
Reaction score
They've been fine in the past. I'm sure they'll come around. I need to start taking notes so I know what's normal for my yard. I was concerned since I bought the seed potatoes at a different store this year. Wondering if they were of lesser quality or if the fact that they were stored inside the store rather than outside like most stores do affected their growth.

Today we had a high of 67F but Thursday the high was in the low 40s with snow. Poor confused plants.

Latest posts