Potatoes

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
An early variety, eh?

As I understand it, a problem with a delayed harvest is if the tubers begin to grow.

Keep in mind that most gardeners harvest potatoes after the plants die back. That means after first frost for later varieties. I like to cut the plant tops and leave them about 2 weeks before harvest. Honestly, and because I'm lazy, I like to harvest over about a 3 week period so that a) there isn't so much to haul out at once, b) fresh potatoes are at hand for several weeks, and c) I don't have to find a cool place for all of them during the hottest part of the year (early varieties).

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted about 70 plants. I Should be harvesting them this week BUT we are about to go on vacation. Could I leave them in the ground to harvest when I come back, mid August?

i have very little knowledge of potato growing... (reading along with interest :) )

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ducks, I think a lot depends on how wet it will be. If it's pretty dry you will probably be OK. But if it is wet they may rot in the ground or supposedly they may sprout. I've never had any sprout in the ground but in wet weather I have had some rot.

I don't know what state they are in right now, mainly how tough the skin is. Supposedly they will store better if the skin has time to toughen up. You will only be gone three weeks. I think there is some gamble but how much depends on how wet it will be.

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My parents always left our potatoes in the ground and just dug as needed, or until they began to show signs of growth or water damage, when the rest of them were dug and stored. Some years I remember we still had potatoes in the ground in early fall, and some years we pulled them earlier. Not a big help, but my climate is pretty similar to yours!