potatoes

KierBri

Sprout
Reaction score
Reinbeau said:
Potatoes form on the stem above the potato piece you plant, that's why you bury the stems as they grow. They flower (pretty flowers one some of them) and then die back, that's when you harvest them.
tad confused, how do they flower if you cover the stem?

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They flower because, eventually, your back will be too worn out to heap two whole feet of mulch and dirt on top of the things, and after, oh, maybe 6 inches you get kinda tired and decide that 50 lbs. of potatoes are more than enough anyways. The potatoes, however, do not get sore backs, and keep making new shoots, so they are able to flower a few weeks after you reach the bottom of the Advil bottle.

KierBri

Sprout
Reaction score
lol! ok, so there's one little stem poking it's nose up. i need to cover it? don't wait for leaves?

whatnow?

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Rosalind said:
They flower because, eventually, your back will be too worn out to heap two whole feet of mulch and dirt on top of the things, and after, oh, maybe 6 inches you get kinda tired and decide that 50 lbs. of potatoes are more than enough anyways. The potatoes, however, do not get sore backs, and keep making new shoots, so they are able to flower a few weeks after you reach the bottom of the Advil bottle.
I made it to 15 inches with my pseudo trashcan potatoes last year. I'm now hooked. I planted 2 dozen pieces this year. Bring on the compost!

ksacres

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
So you just basically keep burying the plant and it keeps coming back up through it?

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You don't totally bury the plant, you leave the top out in the sun. Eventually the trench is filled in, you hill it up a bit more, and then let them be to flower.

Shrades

Sprout
Reaction score
Wow, I had no idea I was supposed to be burying my potato plants!
They've been in for a couple months now, and the plants are about a foot and a half tall -- is it too late to bury them?
Should I cover them with dirt tomorrow?
If I don't bury them, will there be any potatoes?
Thanks.

Latest posts