Potato's & What To Hill Them With?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted all of mine whole too, like Lesa. The Yukons I got (ended up not driving up to Moyie Springs in the interest of saving both gas and time, so I ordered from Ronnigers again) were all ridiculously small, the Durangos were large and the Maris Piper were a good size.
I suspect the Yuks were little because they are so popular and my order was last minute. We'll see how they compare.
I think the reason for letting the ends dry a bit is to cut back on disease if your soil is quite wet when you plant.
Some people recommend planting right after you cut.

I created a new potato bed this year since my sunflower fiasco last year.
It's brand new ground and I'm wondering how my crop will do in comparison to earlier years in the amended beds. Hoping for a bumper crop....

aussieheelr

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
aussieheelr said:
I'm growing mine in old tires this year. I put 3 eyes per tire and as they grow out the top of the dirt I'll add another tire and more dirt. I'll keep doing this through the summer until it's harvest time then tip the tire stack over and pick out my 'taters.
Granted I've never done this before but have heard from fellow gardeners about this working very well for them. So we'll see. Good luck with you 'taters as well.
Mine are starting to come throught the first layer of dirt (first tire). So once they're about 5-6" or so. I'll add the next tire on top (stacking them like a leg on the Michilan tire man) and more dirt. Doing it this way is supose to make potatoes through the whole stack and I won't need to dig to get them out... just knock the stack over at harvest time :)

OLd Jack

Sprout
Reaction score
Gidday

Well down here I always plant the whole spud as I just don't think is is worth the effort as it does open it up to possible infection. You get so much from each spud that the cost is not worth thinking about.

I work my soil then just scoop out a hole with a trowel and drop the seed spud un and flick a bit of dirt over it. Then as it sprouts and grows I will mound them up, like when they are 4 to 6 inches out the top I mound them up so just a couple of leaves are poking out the top. I just keep doing this all growing season as it also knocks the weeds out at the same time.

Whatever you do, keep it simple.

stano40

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The tire method seems pretty simple. Can you use the tire method with just leave's?

I decided though to try using the straw method. It says to dig a trench 4" down and push the potato in about an inch then cover with 6" of straw. Once the plants emerge cover again with 4" to 6" of straw.

I'm enjoying reading about how you all are planting potato's and learning a lot. I too decided not to cut the potato and just plant the whole tuber.

What do you all do for the potato bug's or other pests.

I found deer tracks in my garden yesterday and beginning to wonder if the deer would eat the potato's in the straw.

bob

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bob, I hill my potatoes with straw almost every year and for the most part they do fine. Last year was the exception, but it had nothing to do with the straw. I had a few young deer in the garden patch, they ate the sunflower leaves, but completely ignored the potatoes.
Of course, everybody's deer are different....

stano40

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
Bob, I hill my potatoes with straw almost every year and for the most part they do fine. Last year was the exception, but it had nothing to do with the straw. I had a few young deer in the garden patch, they ate the sunflower leaves, but completely ignored the potatoes.
Of course, everybody's deer are different....
That's good to know. As soon as I pick up the straw this weekend I can plant the taters. Now if I can only stops two of my goats from breaking out of the pen and trampling through the garden to get to the only two apple tree saplings I'll be happy.

Can't wait to see what grows.
bob

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i have not noticed the deer bothering mine. i know they rather head to the neighbors hosta and roses first. or the over abundance of clover that grows by the back of my yard.

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I did mine in black trash bags last year and got a decent yield for only planting I think 3 potatos (cut up) in the bottom of each bag. It's only me and my boyfriend, and I planted a bag of white and a bag of red and had plenty of potatoes.

6992_trash_taters.jpg

Here's the instructions:
http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/how-to-grow-potatoes-in-a-trash-bag/index.html

You have to water them daily, religiously. I forgot one day and it was hot and about half of them died. The other problem is rolling and unrolling the bags, it's difficult, I ended up using big black paperclips to hold the sides down until the bag was full.

I used a mixture of dirt and chicken poop/shavings from my coop.

This year I've improved (I think) on the method and built these that will do the same thing. Each time I need a new layer I'll just add a box of 2x4s or 2x6s then fill with dirt.

6992_209938_173245132730056_100001337108712_392893_3962148_o.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
That system looks great Super! I think you will have great success! My fingerlings are blooming now, with the reds a little behind. Mine are just in a row in the garden- hilled with dirt the first time and straw the second. Potatoes are a funny crop- you really have no idea, how you did- until you dig them up!

Latest posts