Potpourri harvest

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We heat our house mainly with a woodstove. This makes the air exceptionally dry, so we keep a cast-iron steamer on top of the stove filled with water to help humidify the place.

In lieu of potpourri, we throw aromatic plant stuff in the steamer to make everything smell nice. Exceptionally resinous pinecones that make the whole house smell piney and holiday-ish are all over the ground right now, and I've been collecting them from the white pines around our woodlot. Even if the resin dries out, once they are put in the hot water they smell fabulous.

Other potpourri stuff in season right now:
citrus peels
juniper or cedar trimmings
rosemary trimmings
twigs and stems left over from harvesting herbs
apple peels leftover from baking or any that go wrinkly in storage

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
What a good idea! We heat with a wood stove all winter too! Now I will have seasonals scents as well! Thanks for shring. :thumbsup :rainbow-sun

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sassafras would be nice too, even if you don't want to drink the tea. I love to smell a big pot of roots simmering.

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ummmm, sassafras.. grew up drinking that stuff every spring. Never even thought of it in that way, but it sounds delightful. I know my dad used to get green sassafras twigs and stick all thru wild game added salt and pepper heavily and baked it, the sassafrass covered (or removed)-dont know which, the wild gamy taste that some people dont like. I remember the meat being good.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
4grandbabies said:
Ummmm, sassafras.. grew up drinking that stuff every spring. Never even thought of it in that way, but it sounds delightful. I know my dad used to get green sassafras twigs and stick all thru wild game added salt and pepper heavily and baked it, the sassafrass covered (or removed)-dont know which, the wild gamy taste that some people dont like. I remember the meat being good.
That's a new use for it to me... I will have to try that. I bet it would be great with rabbit.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

I have a woodstove too, so thanks for the tips. I shall add trimmings from my myrtle as well as from the huge rosemary & lavender bushes. I shall chuck in all the clementine skins as well -- I can't stop eating them at this time of the year!

Season's Greetings everyone! :D

:rose Hattie :rose

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
4grandbabies said:
Oh my gosh! That would probably be wonderful in any meat! I love the scent of sassafras. Yum. :love

Latest posts