Potting soil v. seed starting mix

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So another thread, and one I started, made me wonder. When you're transplanting seedlings to a bigger pot, should you keep using the soilless mix, or switch to potting soil?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I use potting soil plus a weak solution of Miracle Grow every other time when I water. First time I tried the WEAK solution of Miracle Grow. It made a big difference. (Capitals are shouting on purpose. Don't make the solution very strong.)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I use the potting soil too.... But I mix some of the seed starter into mine as my potting soil doesn't hold moisture as well as the seed starter did. Just a handful per pot worked for me. Maybe less for a smaller pot and transplant.

Usually my peppers don't do ANYTHING until I do the transplant, they never thrive on the seed starter and always sad and small for weeks and weeks and weeks..... :idunno

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This is so interesting, because until this year, I've only used seed starting mix w/fertilizer in the water every week or so. I've never had a problem, and had some really great looking seedlings. This year is the first time I've had any issues. Weird how nature works. I'm going to have to get some potting mix today; I'm excited to see what happens! :D

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I pot mine up into regular potting soil and use a weak fish emulsion/kelp dilution at every other watering. No science behind it, just what I do. Mine are started in the much maligned peat pots
( 2 inchers ) in sterile seed starting mix, then when I see a few roots poking through I pot up into the larger peat pots in the regular potting mix (stuff with no added fertilizer or moisture bead thingys ). They really take off after that.
If what you've been doing works, don't try to fix it...:)

Latest posts