Preserving Cukes?

sunnychooks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Is there anything I can do with cucumbers, besides pickles? I have an abundance of them and we don't eat pickles (or use relish). Is there any way to save them? We're sick of salads!!!

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:pop I am interested in hearing what people say. I have cuc's coming out of my ears right now.

Kim_NC

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
You can dehydrate cucumbers. They're sort of like dried zucchini slices. Use them as chips for snacks or dipping. For variations, you can season them with season salt, plain sea salt, lemon pepper, etc.

freemotion

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Google "cucumber salsa recipe" and a bunch will come up. I made some last year (fermented, of course!) and it was a huge it, surprisingly good.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Kim_NC said:
You can dehydrate cucumbers. They're sort of like dried zucchini slices. Use them as chips for snacks or dipping. For variations, you can season them with season salt, plain sea salt, lemon pepper, etc.
That sounds interesting! How's the texture on them, are they hard?

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You can freeze them w/o them turning to mush. Which shocked the bejebbers out of me when I first heard it I thought they were out of their minds, but I tried it and it worked. The instructions I had were to peel and seed them then cut/dice however you want and place them in freezer bag/ vinegar/oil based dressing, chill in the fridge, then place in the freezer. I left mine in the freezer for a few days then thawed just to see if it would work and they were fine. So then I processed a lot that way but haven't tried the ones that have been frozen for a while b/c still had fresh cukes.

Kim_NC

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
journey11 said:
Kim_NC said:
That sounds interesting! How's the texture on them, are they hard?
It depends on how long you dry them. They should be at least a little crisp. I would consider them over dried if they were really hard.

Latest posts