Preserving fresh flowers

bluebird

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We received MANY wonderful flower arrangements during my Mother's recent passing. I would love to try to preserve what I can of the fresh flowers: lilies, gladolias, roses, carnations, statice, and foliage in general.

Is there a way? :rainbow-sun

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Statice you can just hang, if you want (somewhere airy and dim).

Or you can use silica gel (buy at craft store) - many roses do well in silica gel, too, I do not know about carnations but they might be fine - put the silica gel in the oven a little while as per package directions to make sure it is dry to start, then put a little into a tightly sealing container (like rubbermaid), lay the flowers on it and sift silica gel amongst/over them til they are totally buried. Don't put too many flowers per container or they may not dry well. Leave for a coupla months, then carefully remove and mount on florists wire for arrangements.

Lilies and glads I dunno about.

Practically anything, you can separate it into petals and press them between the pages of an old phone book, between layers of kleenex. Weight and let sit undisturbed. When dry, like in a coupla months, you can reassemble sort of by gluing them in place on a piece of acid-free paper for a frameable picture.

Condolences, and hope this helps,

Pat

Latest posts