Pressure canning dried beans

casper1

Sprout
Reaction score
Can you cook the beens with a ham bone before you can them? And sort of off subject, can you add seasoning meat to fresh butter beans when you can them. I was thinking of fresh pack and add a small peice of fat back in the middle of the jar. I know it would need to be pressure can. Time and pressure?

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
I have a talent for burning things. I usually get in too much of a hurry. As I said, just a few burned beans on the bottom can make a whole pot full unfit to eat. Thet get a really repulsive taste when they burn.
Boy, you just described me to a tee. I usually make a big pot of bean soup when I arrive at the deer camp. One time I got in a hurry and stoked the fire a little bit too much and scorched only three beans in the bottom of the kettle. The entire thing was ruined. A lesson learned.

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Pressure canning beans is a great convince and cost saver. Go for it. The pressure manner is easy. Just get a magazine and park yourself in the kitchen. It's so worth it.

G

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I don't soak my beans overnight. I measure, rinse, and then put them in a covered pot, bring them to a boil and turn off the heat. If I'm going to be home I let them sit for an hour, or longer, if I'm away for the day working I pour them in the crockpot and put it on low. When I get home they're ready for whatever I'm planning on using them for.

I should add that the pre-boiling and letting stand for an hour decreases the cooking time, and eliminates the overnight soak.
But I think you've got it covered! :)

If I had a pressure canner I would like the convenience of having a quick can at hand for those, ahem... all too often times I don't plan ahead...

i_am2bz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
hoodat said:
I have a talent for burning things. I usually get in too much of a hurry. As I said, just a few burned beans on the bottom can make a whole pot full unfit to eat. Thet get a really repulsive taste when they burn.
Obviously you've never met my DH. His favorite flavor is "burnt"; he burns things deliberately b/c he likes the taste!! :sick :lol:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
hoodat said:
Obviously you've never met my DH. His favorite flavor is "burnt"; he burns things deliberately b/c he likes the taste!! :sick :lol:
Wow! I could cook for him! My husband hasn't learned to appreciate carbon yet, but I'm still trying! :D

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
casper1 said:
Can you cook the beens with a ham bone before you can them? And sort of off subject, can you add seasoning meat to fresh butter beans when you can them. I was thinking of fresh pack and add a small peice of fat back in the middle of the jar. I know it would need to be pressure can. Time and pressure?
Sure you can add enough meat for seasoning. Since the canning time for both meat and beans is the same you don't even have to change the procedure. (90 minutes at 10 pounds at sea level. If you are much higher consult a canning chart.)

Latest posts