Pressure Cannning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
All the facts are available on the internet.
Because they can't post anything on the internet that isn't true. http://youtu.be/bufTna0WArc proofs right there. I figured I'd include a link since given your previous posts those seem to help clarify things for you.

First of all my Tomato preserving method is safe generally on two fronts. The high temperature (250F) of canning and the acid content of tomatoes. Either alone is sufficient. If you have doubts, simple increase the processing time to any length you imagine is safe.
As pointed out repeatedly, tomatoes are a high acid food. The issue is with your low acid foods and your cook times. That's where the risk is. Imagined safety is not proven safety.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ridgerunner said:
journey11 said:
If someone were to pass through here not knowing any better and take your advice, using your method to can green beans--which are one of the foods most likely to be tainted by botulism--then feed those green beans to their family, I'm telling you, they would very likely get sick.
Journey, I think you are wrong on this and I think it's part of the reason some people are so hard to convince. Look at the statistics. Of course these just cover botulism, not food poisoning or anything like that, but the pressure canning technique is mainly about botulism. I have absolutely no doubt a lot of people use bad techniques, yet very few get sick from botulism.
This is a tricky path here. You are correct that many people do not get sick, but I also believe that most people who process foods at home do use proper tested methods. Those that actually get sick did not use those methods. Think about it. If you don't know how to do something what do you do? You try to learn how to do it. Most people would go to the library, read a book, ask family members, or search the internet these days. Another thing to consider is the idea that most people who can their own produce are also gardeners and probably understand the possibility of food poisoning so take precautions to avoid it. I don't think a lot of people actually do use dangerous techniques. Those that do are the ones you read about in the paper.

The point here is that just because there are not thousands of people dying of botulism doesn't mean it's not a risk. It is a very real threat. As I said earlier, I am only wanting to point out that durgans canning technique is very risky, unless you are canning juice, which is appearantly all he does. BTW durgan, you only need 1/2 inch of headspace for juice.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Durgan said:
bobm said:
I would eat a commercially produced can of soup, meat, fruit , vegetable or juice any day of the week than risk illness or death by consuming any juice produced by Durgan's method. Simply ... NOT SAFE !
First of all my Tomato preserving method is safe generally on two fronts. The high temperature (250F) of canning and the acid content of tomatoes. Either alone is sufficient. If you have doubts, simple increase the processing time to any length you imagine is safe.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?RJSIZ 17 September 2012 . Tomato Juice.Sixty pounds processed
Sixty pound of tomatoes was processed into 22 litre jars of pure tomato juice in two batches.Each litre of juice contains about three pound of tomatoes. The jars were pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for long term storage at room temperature.Annotated pictures depict the process.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?OCIMO 4 August 2012 Tomato Juice
Seventeen pounds of tomatoes were processed into nine litres of juice. Celery was added, since one plant was available and four beets added to enhance colour. Seven litres wee pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for long term storage. Two litres were set aside and stored in the refrigerator for current use.
Note.You must have absolute confidence in your canning method. I read much on the subject, then arrived at my own method using the recommendations as a guide.I use 15 PSI for 15 minutes. This means nothing unless one does it correctly. I bring the whole pot up to 212F by operating without the bubbler in place for about 30 to 40 minutes. Then the bubbler is applied and when 15 PSI is reached I start the 15 minutes timing. The objective is for the contents of the jars to reach 250F for 15 minutes, which kills all bacteria.I do not even contemplate the water method of 212F. It has the potential of being too problematic in my opinion. Pressure canning is dead simple and almost effortless.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?HYBOX 2 August 2012 Tomato Juice
Twenty pounds of tomatoes were processed into juice. Some peppers, okra, beets for enhancing colour, and egg plant were added,since they were available.Eight litres of juice was obtained and seven were pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for long term storage. Pictures depict the process.
Again, a high acid food that doesn't have to be pressure canned at all. And again, juice.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
MontyJ said:
Ridgerunner said:
journey11 said:
If someone were to pass through here not knowing any better and take your advice, using your method to can green beans--which are one of the foods most likely to be tainted by botulism--then feed those green beans to their family, I'm telling you, they would very likely get sick.
Journey, I think you are wrong on this and I think it's part of the reason some people are so hard to convince. Look at the statistics. Of course these just cover botulism, not food poisoning or anything like that, but the pressure canning technique is mainly about botulism. I have absolutely no doubt a lot of people use bad techniques, yet very few get sick from botulism.
This is a tricky path here. You are correct that many people do not get sick, but I also believe that most people who process foods at home do use proper tested methods. Those that actually get sick did not use those methods. Think about it. If you don't know how to do something what do you do? You try to learn how to do it. Most people would go to the library, read a book, ask family members, or search the internet these days. Another thing to consider is the idea that most people who can their own produce are also gardeners and probably understand the possibility of food poisoning so take precautions to avoid it. I don't think a lot of people actually do use dangerous techniques. Those that do are the ones you read about in the paper.

The point here is that just because there are not thousands of people dying of botulism doesn't mean it's not a risk. It is a very real threat. As I said earlier, I am only wanting to point out that durgans canning technique is very risky, unless you are canning juice, which is appearantly all he does. BTW durgan, you only need 1/2 inch of headspace for juice.
Think a bit about what you are saying. If it is as dangerous as you and Journey seem to think, you would have to have much less than just one person in each of the 50 States doing it wrong or those CDC statistics would be blown out of the park. If you believe that there are just a very small handful of people in the whole country doing it wrong, you have a whole lot more faith in peoples intelligence and human nature than I do. Ive met people that do it wrong, at least over the internet. They are still alive.

I think if you say If you do it that way you absolutely will be dead and they do it that way and are not dead, you have a problem with your credibility. Thats what Im trying to say.

I agree that not following the proper canning techniques is risky. It can make you dead. It makes people dead every year. Its not that it will absolutely each and every time make everyone dead that ever does it, it is that it can make you dead. Does it really matter how many die, especially when one could be a family member. How many die is not the point. It's that people die.

I see absolutely nothing to be gained by using improper techniques that makes it worth risking my granddaughters life or anyone elses.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Out of whatever sampling of people who are out there doing it wrong, even only a percentage of those will have the spores present in their food. It is the possibility that if those spores are present and not properly dealt with very serious consequences could result. Perhaps very likely was too strong of a phrase; however deliberately doing it wrong is certainly going to up your chances.

Following the book (the BBB) is not hard or tedious. ... The steps are very simple. Why take the risk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts