Pressure Cooker Cuisine

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Tonights menu was beef stroganoff. I love to use the pressure cooker because it turns out a nice tender flavorful entree. Or veggie.
My pressure cooker was my moms Mirro-Matic, from the 50's. It was one of the few things I wanted when she passed on.
Does anyone else use a pressure cooker?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have one, a Mirro-Matic 394M, probably quite similar to yours, Moxie. It's about the size of a large sauce pot. Not big enough to hold a pot roast or whole chicken. I've had it for a few years, as long as I've had my Old National #7 pressure canner, also a relic of the mid-1900's. They were both purchased at an estate sale of an elderly neighbor of my grandparents. I only started using it maybe two weeks ago though. I don't know why I let it sit in the basement all this time. It is quick and easy to use. I couldn't believe the gasket was still good, but it was. I even found a user's manual for it online. Now I am looking for as many ways to use it as possible. :) It really made the ol' yard bird nice and tender!

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
"Pressure cooking is the process of cooking food, using water or other cooking liquid, in a sealed vessel, known as a pressure cooker. Pressure cookers are used for cooking food faster than conventional cooking methods, which also saves energy.[citation needed]

Pressure is created initially by boiling a liquid such as water or broth inside the closed pressure cooker. The trapped steam increases the internal pressure and temperature. After use, the pressure is slowly released so that the vessel can be safely opened.

Pressure cooking can be used for quick simulation of the effects of long braising. Almost any food which can be cooked in steam or water-based liquids can be cooked in a pressure cooker."

Information provided by our friend -Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure_cooking

I did grow up watching mom and grandma use it, and the food was always tender and delicious.
It is worth getting one and learning how to use it. I can fit a whole chicken in mine. I think it is only 4 quart, but the meat etc cooks down.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy, with your cooking skills, I'd suggest you stay away from pressure canners. :D Don't even look at craigslist!

Mary

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are safety measures on them now that apparently weren't available 60 years ago. Or maybe my aunts were just not very bright; they tried to pressure cook apples to make applesauce. They took off the weight before the pressure was down, and sprayed the ceiling with hot applesauce.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The "High" settings....are not your friends ;)

Latest posts