Pressure vs water bath

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
journey11 said:
seedcorn said:
Pickles are better in water bathes?
They're also really good fermented in a large crock. They taste even better and they have healthy probiotics in them. I've not made them myself, but my neighbor friend shared some of hers. Hoodat ferments pickles, I think.
I used to ferment pickles every year but I had to make the trip from Oklahoma to San Diego in a hurry when my ex came down with Alzheimers so all of my large stone crocks got left behind and they are very expensive to replace. Fermented pickles are entirely different from vinegar canned pickles; much more of an interesting taste.
If I am using a strong vinegar solution I don't even bother water bathing; just bring my vinegar to a boil, pour it over the cukes packed tightly in the jar and immediately tighten the lids. I have yet to have a batch spoil. The vinegar/salt solution is enough to preserve them. The downside is they have to sit on the shelf for a month or so to allow the brine to soak all the way through.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
hoodat said:
so all of my large stone crocks got left behind and they are very expensive to replace.
That's a shame. I know the cost has been prohibitive for me, but one of these days I am going to invest in a good large crock and stone weight.

r4eboxer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Mickey328 said:
Frankly, I only pressure can stuff that absolutely has to be done that way. I can get 3 batches out of the water bath in the time it takes to do one in the pressure canner. I also find it easier, because I don't have to watch the dial. As long as the water's boiling, which doesn't take all that long, I just set the timer and take it off when it's done. No need to let it cool down or any of that...just take it off the heat, pull the jars out and set them to cool.

Admittedly, my pressure canner will hold more jars at once which is convenient, but I could also get a much bigger water bath canner if I were so inclined. I do all my tomato stuff in the water bath along with all jams and fruits.
x2

My pressure canner will hold 14 quarts but it takes much longer. It takes time to heat it up, to pressure can and then to cool down before you open the lid. It also has a tendency to boil my tomato sauce based recipes out over the top of the lid. But I do use it for the items that I cannot safely can with a water bath canner. The pressure canner gets the low acidic foods hot enough to kill botulism. This is the only reason to have a pressure canner IMHO. So we can all stay healthy and not be poisoned.

I use the water bath and prefer it, I do get a little concerned about doing tomatoes in the water bath. There is the whole controversy about the acidity of certain tomatoes. I just add lemon juice or citric acid to my tomato recipes and water bath. So much easier and quicker in the water bath, not to mention the clean up.

Latest posts