Pretty worm

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This little worm was munching on my Penta shrub. I couldn't bring myself to kill it because it was so pretty. The pictures are not great - I took them with my cell - can you see the tail on it?

4898_teg.jpg

4898_teg1.jpg

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hmmm, yes.... it's an interesting little guy anyway.... But your pentas are huge! I grew some a long time ago and they were just little clumps. Must be that climate you have!

(oh, and I think you mean caterpillar Joan....) :p

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
Hmmm, yes.... it's an interesting little guy anyway.... But your pentas are huge! I grew some a long time ago and they were just little clumps. Must be that climate you have!

(oh, and I think you mean caterpillar Joan....) :p
Ha ha!!! :lol: That master gardener class really paid off!!! Yes, I think I mean caterpillar, thistle! :tongue

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is pretty. Looks like some kind of Hornworm...which should be called Hornpiller...

Not sure, but I think the tail is the head, and what looks like an eye is an evolutionary feature designed to scare off predators, or maybe to be too pretty to eat or to kill.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yes, love these!! I'm not much for IDing insects or bugs or caterpillars OR worms...altho i love to ID everything else, but a few years back i ran in to one of these hornworms and had to look it up.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
We can forgive you this time Joan...after all it was a master gardener course, not a master entomologist course! :lol:
Well, we did cover some entomology in the class - maybe I was sleeping. :p