Privacy garden

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
farmettehopeful said:
Well, we went to our local nursery today and have decided on Leyland Cypress trees. My hubby loves them and likes the fact that they will still provide privacy in the winter months. My WHOLE plan is out the window now though! We are only getting 2 grown ones right now due to expense but may get two babies to start "the wall" of privacy. I wll no longer be doing a raised bed but still plan on putting down 2 rows of 3x3x8 landscape timbers to keep the mulch in and hope to get some flowers or something in the area for color. I'm hoping we are biting off too much because we know nothing about pruning or cutting back! Thanks for all of your help everyone!!!!
I also have left a voicemail with our zoning officer to be sure we in the clear for the trees possible height...it's a shame when you have his number on hand lol! Just got the call back already and we are in the clear. It can be as tall as we want it :)
Perhaps you can afford plant 2 more in the fall. Things are expensive but that tree too along time to develop. There are many varieties that do not really need pruning.

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Leylands actually grow pretty fast, at least around Atlanta. My observations and research show that with proper soil prep, the little one to five gallon sizes outgrow the bigger ones...less transplant shock and stuff. They CAN be pruned, I have actually seen clipped hedges of leyland...they don't last forever though.

A row of leylands tend to not be completely uniform due to micro environmental differences in soil, shade (the biggie) and water. If you are piecing together an evergreen hedge over time, consider a mixed evergreen screening...white pines, virginia pines, leylands, arborvitae, white cypress, holly trees...and if you can stand starting with the small stuff, affordable.

I'm doing just that in my home; filling in the gaps with temporary plantings that get moved as the trees mature. The seasonal sales of past-bloom azaleas, fall clearances, and other opportunities have started to acheive critical mass after five years.

Latest posts