Problem with my grape vines

dipence71

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Well they start off great when I buy them then have them in the house till replant. Then they all but die. they were green and spreading viney things.
Now they look like they are dying. Even one that have been in the ground for 2 yrs is not even a ft tall and not viney. Do I need to add something to the soil? I think I read they like acidic soil how do I increase acidity? I am in central Illinois and yes we have been hit with wet weather again and a late frost. But the one that was already in the ground looks good for only being less than a ft tall my blackberry looks good but he is still in the pot the one I planted looks bad?????What the heck?
:barnie :hu

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
dipence71 said:
Well they start off great when I buy them then have them in the house till replant. Then they all but die. they were green and spreading viney things.
Now they look like they are dying. Even one that have been in the ground for 2 yrs is not even a ft tall and not viney. Do I need to add something to the soil? I think I read they like acidic soil how do I increase acidity? I am in central Illinois and yes we have been hit with wet weather again and a late frost. But the one that was already in the ground looks good for only being less than a ft tall my blackberry looks good but he is still in the pot the one I planted looks bad?????What the heck?
:barnie :hu
Not real sure what the problem is, they should of grown a lot by now. If you want to try to increase the acidity add some peat moss around the area and mix it in. I hope they will start growing better for you.

dipence71

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
lesa said:
What zone are you in? I rarely see grapes that are hardy in my zone-4.
Not sure zone wise but Central Illinois. And I have friends who have grapes and they do wonderfully. That is why I am thinking I need more acidic dirt lol.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think I know your issue! If you are buying 'green' vines and transplanting them green they are very delicate at this point. They are also used to a mild interior environment to them be subjected to the exterior which could be hotter, colder and windier.

With grape vines you want to buy them when they are dormant and plant them while they are dormant. It is best they 'wake up' in the condition in which they are going to thrive and live with no unexpected changes.

Chances are they were woken up indoor before going outdoors and it shocked the system.

dipence71

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
vfem said:
I think I know your issue! If you are buying 'green' vines and transplanting them green they are very delicate at this point. They are also used to a mild interior environment to them be subjected to the exterior which could be hotter, colder and windier.

With grape vines you want to buy them when they are dormant and plant them while they are dormant. It is best they 'wake up' in the condition in which they are going to thrive and live with no unexpected changes.

Chances are they were woken up indoor before going outdoors and it shocked the system.
will they come out of it? What about the ones I already planted awhile ago? Shouldn't they be thriving and much bigger?

Latest posts