problem with tomato seedlings, possible disease/fungus, need advice

etherati

Sprout
Reaction score
Hey, new here but desperately needing a positive ID on the problem cropping up in my tomato seedlings. I've never grown them from seed before so I don't know what to look for. No disease profiles online seem to match it exactly - I thought maybe bacterial spot/canker, but it's not quite right and it's so dry here that it didn't make much sense anyway. Maybe nutrient deficiency? Some sort of fungus? I just need to figure out if it's safe to put these in the garden come last frost time, without contaminating the soil with something nasty.

So: They're about 5 weeks old, mixed varieties (supersweet 100 cherry, roma, early girl, big boy, brandywine, and a mix of other heirlooms from burpee). The problem in the pictures is primarily on the older leaves, but younger leaves eventually get it too. Nothing wrong on the stems, plants seem strong and lively. Seed leaves have been yellowing and falling off on their own. Currently fertilizing with Age Old Grow (20-10-10), which is organic and not supposed to be able to burn plants, but for a while they were just in seed starter with no added nutrients. Drainage is good, and they're under a sun lamp so they should be getting enough light? Though it's only 100w, so who knows.

Anyway, pics:

...okay, I guess I can't post urls to the pics. But they are sort of pale green/yellow spots on the tops of the leaves with a tiny bit of browning at the very tips, and the undersides of the leaves reflect the spots as paler patches against a purple background. Veins don't seem involved, and there are no problems with the stems.

Any ideas?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Did you use sterile seed starting mix or perhaps garden soil instead? Disease pathogens can carry over in soil, but not on seed. Reusing cell packs that haven't been sterilized could cause disease to spread too.

etherati

Sprout
Reaction score
I used Jiffy Seed Starting Mix, which I assumed was sterile but to be fair, it doesn't actually say so on the bag. That said, I've had zero incidence of damping off, so I'm pretty sure the seed starter was clean.

I started them originally in little Jiffy peat cups, then potted them up to brand new plastic posts, never used before. I suppose it's possible they might have picked something up from the store I bought the pots in, but I don't think many pathogens live long on dry, bare plastic.

I'm mostly just at a loss as to what it could be... after a week of googling, nothing I find looks like what I have going on here.

Let's see if it'll let me post pics now...

DBJPd.jpg

5ZjCl.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
It doesn't look horrible-whatever it is... I wouldn't hesitate to plant them in my garden. Can you start getting them outside? Some increased air circulation, couldn't hurt... Good luck!

etherati

Sprout
Reaction score
I was going to try to get them all potted up first, give them a few days to settle from that, and then start hardening them off over the next few weeks. We don't usually get past frost danger here until mid-late May, but the days are already lovely - 68 degrees today.

I'm starting to think it might be deficiencies after all, it looks a bit like mild nitrogen deficiency? That's my best guess at the moment.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I won't bother to use that Jiffy Starter Mix again. JMHO. The tomatoes that I started in potting soil- look much healthier. I know it is supposed to help with damping off, etc. but without any nutrients, I just don't think it works. I think you are on the right track- let them get adjusted to the new soil and start moving them out! Happy Gardening!

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mine don't look exactly like that, but similar...and from what I found it could be a magnesium deficiency. I am adding some epsom salts to some water and I will give them a drink.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I may be wrong but that looks more like damage from a sucking insect than a disease. Could be aphids, whitefly or leafhoppers. A spray from insecticidal soap (Safers is the one you usually find in nurseries) should take care of it if I'm right. Be sure to get the underside of the leaf. It looks as though that's where it's happening.