Problems w/ hardening off

jhook1997

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've been trying to "harden off" my broccoli, cauli, and brussel sprouts but the weather here is very crazy. It is in the 60's one day and then in the 30's. I got everything outside in the cold frame for a each day a few days in a row but then had a few days of freezing cold and wind. I couldn't take them out on those days for risking wind damage plus it was way too cold. Now we're back to 40 degree days but no sun so the cold frame is not warming up at all. Question is how do I know when these plants are ready to go out? Do I have to have a certain amount of days in a row going out for them to be "hardened"? According to my calculations, they need to be outside by the end of next week but I don't want to kill them all. (40 plants!)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
As far as I am concerned, hardening off seedlings is the most difficult part of starting seeds. Using the cold frame is a very good idea! Since the plants you mention are all cold hardy- I would get them out in the cold frame and leave the lid off entirely during the day... close it back up at night. Not sure if your plants are ready for the all day treatment- you will have to use your judgement by looking at their condition after a couple hours. After a week of this, I would think they will be ready to go into the ground, (weather permitting.) There really is no rush to get these in the ground- so take your time and make sure they are ready for the shock... Happy Gardening!

jhook1997

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
lesa said:
As far as I am concerned, hardening off seedlings is the most difficult part of starting seeds. Using the cold frame is a very good idea! Since the plants you mention are all cold hardy- I would get them out in the cold frame and leave the lid off entirely during the day... close it back up at night. Not sure if your plants are ready for the all day treatment- you will have to use your judgement by looking at their condition after a couple hours. After a week of this, I would think they will be ready to go into the ground, (weather permitting.) There really is no rush to get these in the ground- so take your time and make sure they are ready for the shock... Happy Gardening!
It is only supposed to be 42 today. Do you still think that's ok for in the cold frame?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't do those crops indoors from seeds, mainly just tomatoes and pepper, but I'd think you would be OK. The things I'd be concerned about with them is that I would not want them to freeze, especially the roots. Once they are established, those crops can handle a light frost, but I'd be careful until they are hardened off as you are doing.

I would be careful of them drying out. They don't need to be soaking wet, but I have to watch mine to keep them from getting too dry. Your outside conditions are not as controlled as in the house.

I'd be concerned about wind. I have more damage with my tomatoes and peppers from wind than anything else when I am hardening them off. The tops can get bruised and wilted and the wind can really dry them out.

I'd be concerned about too much direct sunlight the first few days. My concerns there are more toward them drying out, but if it is too hot for too long, my tomatoes and peppers can get a sunburn and wilt. After a few days, this is not much of an issue, other than them drying out.

The last thing I do is to put them where my dogs can't get to them and destroy them, and I leave my chickens locked in the run when I am hardening off plants.

I don't have a formula for when mine are ready. I just start about two weeks before they are ready to go in the garden and do the best I can. Sometimes it si so rainy, I can't do it like I really want, but I adjust as best I can and go forward. It does not bother me if I am a few days late in getting them in the garden. My hardening off spot is on the north side of a workshop. My spring winds are almost always out of the south. I start them off deep in the shade but gradually move them out from the wall a bit so they get more sun.

Your cold frame sounds like an excellent way to do this. It probably solves most of my concerns. Good luck!!!

jhook1997

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
8794_100_1008.jpg

Here's what most of them look like.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can't go by calculations alone. If it was just in the 30's it is too soon for anything to go outdoors. Broccoli will have a leathery look when it is hardened off.But you weather is not ready. You cannot go by calendar alone. What is your zone???

jhook1997

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
catjac1975 said:
You can't go by calculations alone. If it was just in the 30's it is too soon for anything to go outdoors. Broccoli will have a leathery look when it is hardened off.But you weather is not ready. You cannot go by calendar alone. What is your zone???
Zone 7

Latest posts