Problems with Gurney's

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Oh wow and I thought it was my fault that my plants from those companies were dying! I got live plants from Gurneys&affiliates and the raspberries are going well but all the flowers are just sitting, stunted, or dying. The bulbs fm Michigan bulb are doing fine so far, but I am really upset that the live plants are acting like they got shocked when I planted them but I know for a fact that they did NOT get shocked! So for a month my Snow in Summer and my Peaches & Dreams Hollyhocks have been in the ground, soaking up sun and fertilizer, and havent grown or even sprouted new leaves. Oh and the clemtis is not growing either. ARGH!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I had issues with the strawberries they sent me, I was on the phone all of 5 minutes about it and Gurney sent replacements with a quickness and no arguement of fault at all.

However, I only got in about 10 of the 50 strawberry plants they sent me. Due to high winds and days of rain after I got them I never got the rest in. They are all sitting in the same box they came in, and have been sitting there for almost 3 weeks. I'm sure they are dead by now... THAT is my fault. :(

I have to say I was impressed with Gurney's customer service. These are the ONLY live plants I've every purchased online... I usually do seeds only, and I've only ever ordered from Parkseed previously!

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hmmm. We have been very upset with a"reputable" long time local nursery that sells bare root fruit trees and bushes.

Every one has died and the replacements and their replacements died. They have no guarantees so we kept shelling out the bucks thinking it was something we were doing wrong. 4 cherries, 4 apricots, 10 apples, 4 nectarines, 6 plums @ $25 each!
We had just decided to try a mail order like Gurney's and glad we read this first.
I'm beginning to wonder if our nursery has been buying truckloads from the same source.

On another note we bought leek plants from Shumway and they all went to seed in the same season which means they were old plants or started too soon. I've grown leeks from seed and plants as long as I can remember and as biennials they have never gone to seed the first year.
You just feel like you can't get what you pay for these days.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks for the link to Benary Seeds digitS' :frow

I have never heard of them before! You are truly the Resarch King as well as the Veggie King -- Hmmm! perhaps there's a link there! :celebrate I have learnt such a lot since I have been following your comments etc. & I am grateful to you for sharing your knowledge, sources & experience! You are ACE! :thumbsup

HAPPY GARDENING! :rainbow-sun

:rose Hattie :rose

jaku

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I wish I found this site/thread before I ordered from Gurney's several times! I've NEVER been happy with a Gurney's order. The plants don't grow well (if at all,) and the seeds don't seem to do nearly as well as even the seed packets you buy at Lowe's.

2dream

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I only lost one strawberry plant out of the 27 or 28 that Gurneys shipped. I ordered 25.

However, two packets of seeds I ordered were apparently old. Not a single geenbean sprouted out of either packet.

I did not call and complain. I just purchased new seed packets from someone else. My reason. I ordered the seed in January. Did not plant until April. There is a possibility it was my fault. Not sure how but I just let it go.

Every seed I ordered from Bakers and Victory have sprouted. Those will be my first places to look for seed in the future. Also, I love Apple Blossom Farms for herbs. All my plants arrived in good condition.

Edited to add, oops, Apple Blossom Farms is wrong. It is just Blossom Farms for the herbs. Sorry.