Propagating Cyperus alternifolius

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi,

I just discovered (read on the internet) on how to propagate my Cyperus alternifolius, Umbrella Grass.

I currently have one clump of this grass. It has been growing at two homes of mine now for over 8 years. Once, long ago, at the other house I had two tiny babies grow up in a nearby bed--I gave them to my neighbor where they are today!

Since the move here, I have never seen another volunteer, and she seeds profusely!

So here is my Umbrella Grass taken a few minutes ago. It has not been hit hard by any freezes because it is so close to the house. It will eventually become dry and dead as a door-nail up top. Then come Spring it regrows, year after year, and always this size.
jggn0h.jpg

the little red thing is my Euonymus alatus `Compactus', Burning Bush, but he isn't burning too well this year!

So here is what I found out! :ep
Take a cutting, snip the stem up to the umbrella about an inch.
10o2sk7.jpg

2mcho49.jpg

then remove all the leaflets around the head.
m08ie.jpg

Then place the tops upside down in a bowl of water. I am using heat under the bowl. Doing this inside with room heat is enough; then all you need is a sunny location.
2qlqtg2.jpg

Instructions indicate that with the proper heat there should be sprouting from tiny shoots which are hidden in the bracts. So from 10-20 days, or in the cooler water up to 100 days. Fascinating!

I will return with sprouting pictures, as this is all new to me. I am quite surprised not to have baby umbrellas everywhere as most folks have to deal with. Yet in the far off past I do remember them from seed. (you can see how much seed has formed above!)

:thumbsup

Well I am quite excited about these guys! These would be excellent additions to my Hypertufa (Birthday) stuff! I will post soon enough!

Ron :pop

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi again,

After some more reading I think I know why I am not getting volunteers from several of my grasses.

I am a specimen grower. In other words I am supporting one or two of a particular species. I have many species but not enough of the one kind to cancel out all the cross pollinating that is happening.

Only a few grasses are 'True to seed', this is why we are able to cultivate such wonderful grain crops. However, because of my varying types I am getting a 'cancel' on the seed viability rather than creating hybrids. Very interesting.

I get plenty of viable seed from my Maidenhair (Ponytail) Grass because I have over 10 clumps in my garden. So if I want to increase the amount Deer Grass or Feather Reed Grass I will have to cover these so that no other pollen gets to them, or I need to buy some more plants!!!! LOL

Too cool. I am grateful that the above grass, the Umbrella Grass, is able to be propagated in such a unique fashion; it has something to do with the fact that this is a 'Rush' grass and contains tiny shoots in the bracts. Very exciting!

So, I am not sure if anyone gathered the kinds of grasses I have, but I did list them in this post: http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=27281&p=2

Too fun! I will keep you updated!

Ron :mow

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank you Ron I wondered why my clump of Umbrella Grass never got much bigger.
I have had one clump I got from a pond where I was fishing. I only took a little as I did not want to disrupt the nice pond. The plant was dumped there from a yard cleaning, there were other landscape plants there also.

My clump did get bigger and I divided it. This has been a very slow process to gain more of this fine plant/grass. I will be out collecting tops just as soon as the Sun comes up today!

Nice lesson in Propagation , now we just need a Propagation section.

Joe

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
injunjoe said:
Nice lesson in Propagation , now we just need a Propagation section.

Joe
Yeah, I think a Prop section would be one that folks turn to often for questions. I think we could all fill a section like that in no time. :coolsun

Good Suggestion! :thumbsup

Ron

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ron, I have a question about your umbrella grass. Does it die back in the winter then come back in the spring or does it stay green-healthy even thru winter?

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Crystal,

Yes, it dies back completely, dry as the sahara! LOL I will usually leave the dry parts alone for a while to create a fall display, but by January it all starts to fall and crumble.

I think I have some pics of it dry. Once I do cut it, I cut it less than an inch or two from the bottom.

here is Rudi as a puppy tucked under the dry Umbrellas.
e0fomp.jpg

if you look to the farther corner of the house, right behind the hose (green), there is the Umbrella Grass looking all so collapsed and dead! LOL It is not too much longer to this that I will cut it back and take the debris and put it into the mulch. (I like it when it snows)
2na1axj.jpg

Ron

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

Years ago I grew it indoors & it did very well......................Until my cats, all ten of them.....................discovered it,...!! :barnie :th

But yes! it grows well indoors if you keep it sitting in water & well away from............................................CATS! :gig :gig

:rose Hattie :rose

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Rudi sure is a wonderful dog/ friend! Berrrr, nice pictures.

I looked and my umbrella grass is just waiting to die back for the year.
It will rest for a month or two then grow again, but as for those tops with the seed/sprouts they are just not there at this time for me.
It could be because I just moved them from the back yard to the front a few months ago.

Joe