Propagating Trumpet Vine??

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted a few of these vines, that I got from a friend. Many years later, I am celebrating my first flowers!! I was even more thrilled to discover the giant "bean" seedpod that followed. Has anyone ever grown new vines, with these seeds?? I would love to plant more around my fencing. Let me know if you have any success...

hypnofrogstevie

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
They say its easier to propagate the vine rather then grow the seeds.

Propagation:

Trumpet Flower Vine are grown from seeds. Sow seeds directly into your flower garden after all danger of frost has past and the soil has warmed. Plant seeds 1/4" deep.

Vines can also be propagated by digging up and replanting suckers.

Site: http://www.gardenersnet.com/flower/trumpetflowervine.htm

I bought like 30 seeds off ebay and cant wait to grow them as well :)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I wish I could help, I'm still torching our trumpet vine trying to kill it... it JUST WON'T DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
vfem, that is the difference between Southern growing and the cold North!! The things I nurture along will take over your entire building down there! I have to trim my wisteria a little- and then it dies back for winter. I know that is another one, that is trying to take over the world in your neck of the woods. Guess I will try to grow the seeds come spring- no harm in trying...

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
They root easily from just about any point on the vine (except for soft green new vine). If you pull down a vine, still attached to the parent plant and lay it on bare soil (maybe gently pin it down for good contact) it will make all kinds of volunteer roots at the nodes. When you've got a good set of roots, clip it off and plant it elsewhere. Plant horizontally and shallow to get several sets of roots in the ground and keep it watered well until it gets going.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks! Journey that sounds like a good project for spring! Unfortunately, the vine doing the best is bordering my chicken fence. Doubtful, I could get anything close to the ground around those beasts! They don't bother the thick stem, but I don't know about new growth....

hypnofrogstevie

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Maybe if you pull a few leaves off a cutting and put it in some moist soil it may root. Just keep it in a shady spot. I am trying that with my dwarf burning bush and some lavender cuttings I got from someone.

Latest posts