Protecting new plants from chickens!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I put in a new bed at the end of my deck... its by far the easiest for the chickens to get to. I just put in some nice small tender plants. Some cone flowers, blanket flowers, calendula, Larkspur and Foxglove.

They went right over to the bed and began to dirt bath in it!!! Kicking all the new plants out.

I went ahead replanted some, and mulched.... will that help or should I cover my plants until they are stronger?

They weren't so much eating them as just bathing around them. They've caused no harm to my older beds on the side of the house with established plants.

inchworm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I would put some temporary plastic fencing around them until they are bigger. When they are bigger, they may be happy for a little "chicken cultivation".

I use black plastic fencing around my vegetable garden. I just keep it closed with a hook. I go into the garden in the morning while the hens are still cooped up When I am done for the day, I hook the fencing back up and let the chickens out to play.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Are you talking about the cheap fencing stuff they have at lowes? It's like 18" high or so?

GardeNerd

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I do the opposite. I put the fence around the chickens.

It is a dog exercise pen with bird netting attached over the top. It bends to the shape of the bed or edge of the grass I want them to work on. It fits in my veggie garden path ways. I am not supposed to free range in my city, so this was my solution for the chickens. I also have a tractor, but this is quick, light weight and flexible for weird shaped spaces. I used u shaped hooks to attach it to the ground. I don't leave them in here unless I am in the working in the yard. It would not be secure from predators other than hawks.

100_2085.jpg

100_1865.jpg

GardeNerd

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
I put in a new bed at the end of my deck... its by far the easiest for the chickens to get to. I just put in some nice small tender plants. Some cone flowers, blanket flowers, calendula, Larkspur and Foxglove.
Larkspur and Foxglove are pretty poisonous to eat, be careful using it around animals that can eat them. Diffinately fence or keep them away.

inchworm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yes - it's just that cheap plastic fencing from the local garden center. It has small holes about 1/2" in size. They can fly in if they want, but they have never done it.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yeah I just need something pretty and short. I let mine free range... they are very happy wondering around the whole yard. They are silkies, so they can barely get 2' off the ground if they REALLY tried.

So far, I find them dust bathing in the raised bed more then messing with my plants. They have not responded well to the mulch I put on the bed so far. I guess its uncomfortable on their feet, so they haven't gone in it at all this week.

Latest posts