Prune or not to prune ... raspberries

msbear

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have many shoots that are way long and are laying on the ground. ...was thinking of pruning them a bit to lift them. Will I be cutting away this years berries?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I have blackberries--GROWING IN MY BASEMENT, BY THE WINDOW, of all places, because I didn't get them into the ground in 2009 and took pity on them and let them winter inside!!

I've read that you cut down ONLY old growth. The new growth will grow this year's berries. Then, I think, you're supposed to cut this year's growth down at the end of the growing season. Anybody else?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You might want to doublecheck me, but I am fairly positive that "normal" raspberries bear on last year's canes, whereas fall-bearing ones bear on new wood and everbearing bear on both.

If yours are normal raspberries, that would mean not cutting away any canes that are last years' growth. Canes that bore berries last year can be removed no problem as they will not fruit again.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Thanks, pat They sound like grape vines. Didn't know. I just know that I have TWO BLACKBERRY BUSHES, IN POTS, GROWING BY A NORTH WINDOW OF MY BASEMENT, WITH OVER A DOZEN FLOWERS!!!!! :barnie
I've taken a q-tip to try to cross pollinate them. IT'S A .... JUNGLE!!!!

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :barnie :barnie :barnie

msbear

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Great link, VFM. Thanks, all. I will get to pruning any unruly canes and leave the rest to bear fruit.