Pruning a Bare Root semi-dwarf Nectarine "Snow Queen"

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bought 2 bare root fruit trees a couple month ago. I pruned them down by about 8". The branches have the beginning of what appears to be buds either flowers or leaves. But the branch tips appear to be dying. I've cut about 4 inches off and they are dry. There is new growth coming out along the main trunk and also further down on the branches. How should I prune this tree?
photo (76).JPG

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Around here we prune when dormant but anything broken or dead can be pruned anytime. There is a spray that is used for the winter that helps retain moisture in the plant. It is koalin (clay). Don't know about that spelling. I have no idea if it is appropriate for your zone. I would leave anything that looks healthy. You have too many of those small branches so cut off any dying ones trying to space them apart. Try to envision it large. You only want to leave a few twigs that will become the main branches. The branches coming out of the trunk, those shoots, are not normally kept unless you think your branches are dying. I cannot tell if that is 3 main branches or not. I might leave only 2 main branches. You are supposed to avoid creating a crotch in the tree. That truck looks a bit dry. you are supposed to protect a young trunk from wind and sun burn. Maybe you need to wrap it. There are plastic protectors that you can buy cheaply.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It looks to me like you have 3 main branches off the trunk.
Nectarines are recommended to be pruned in a vase shape (open center) as opposed to a central leader type, so your tree looks like it has the basic trunk configuration for that.
First year prunings should be severe, because you're selecting the framework for the trees future growth.
I would take those 3 main branches down to a point below where those little branching twigs emerge . And I would make the cuts to an outward facing bud.

Don't do anything yet about any buds emerging on the trunk until you know that the other branches are living. If you have dead branches you may need to choose one of the trunk buds to take the place of them. You can take your thumbnail and gently scrape along a branch or twig to see if there's any green tissue underneath. If it's green it's alive.

If you don't need to replace a branch go ahead and rub the buds off.

It won't hurt your tree at this point to prune after it's leafed out a bit, if you need to see what's living and what's not.

Keep us posted on your trees progress Mary!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
This year yes, because it's a baby. You'll be aiming for that open center pruning through it's maturity. They have found that pruning a bare root tree (once it's in it's permanent location) severely, stimulates better growth that first year.

Next year you will just have to do a little shaping.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
This little guy has produced lots of delicious nectarines! I didn't think I could get sweet stone fruit due to our cool weather but I have. We have already eaten a lot of the nectarines. I have the same question as my peach tree. Fruit is in the middle and the ends of the branches are thin. Come summer should I just prune the tips of the branches?
IMG_0690.JPG

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
This little guy has produced lots of delicious nectarines! I didn't think I could get sweet stone fruit due to our cool weather but I have. We have already eaten a lot of the nectarines. I have the same question as my peach tree. Fruit is in the middle and the ends of the branches are thin. Come summer should I just prune the tips of the branches? View attachment 14439

I don't think you should prune in the summer. Wait until January or February before the buds swell. Don't take too much off, just enough to keep it from getting congested, so any branches growing parallel, one right over the other, or dead or broken branches. I doubt you have any diseased branches to worry about, but if you did they would go too.
The only time time you prune really hard, that I'm aware of, is when the tree is first planted.
You may have to support any branches that threaten to crack with the weight of fruit.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
For some reason we are told to prune here in the summer. Perhaps it's to maintain the small size of our trees or our very mild winters?

I'm going to have to figure out how to support the branches. I thought one might break, it was bend pretty low. In the past I have used a 2x4 which was buried in the ground. These trees are in containers which are on a brick patio. So no dirt to bury supports on.

Mary

Latest posts