Pruning a Tree-lette...

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I know that sounds funny, but I don't know what to call it. One of my Nectarines seems to have sprouted a little tree-lette at ground level. It's about a foot tall, and has some of its own little branches. I was wondering if I could prune it off, and stick it in some root starter junk. I'm not expecting it to work out, I'm just concerned about hurting the tree, which will be budding out properly in the next month or 2. The buds are already starting to look a bit bigger, and all the fruit trees are getting ready for the growing season.

Thoughts?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i think that is from the grafted rootstock, if you have grafted trees there. if it is from the grafted area it wouldn't be the same type of tree as you are already getting fruit from.

snipping it out now probably wouldn't hurt the main tree. but i am not so sure it will root. grafting onto rootstock might be better. but i am not an expert on this stuff.

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The trees aren't very old, have been in the ground since the beginning of last summer. I'm not concerned about it being the same, and I don't even mind if it doesn't make it... I just don't want to hurt the tree.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe from grafted rootstock, but even if it's not, it will sap a lot of energy from the main tree, cause crowding or other problems. I'd snip it for sure. That way you'll have a tree--not a bush! :D

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree to take it off, same as regular pruning. Take it off at the collar without getting too close. There are various pruning sites that talk about that, though I kinda suspect you know what I am talking about. I'd think in Ontario you may not have that much sap flow yet. My peaches and almond, probably the closest I have to a nectarine, are just starting to bud.

I spoke to a representative at Stark Nursery last year when they called to see how the trees I had orderer from them were doing. I mentioned a grafted cherry tree that was sprouting out at the base but the grafted parts were not doing well. She said to take those sprouts off since it was on the rootstock. It nay be taking enough energy off the grafted part to kill it and would probably get preferential growth above the grafted portion even if the grafted portion survivied. This was well after the leaves had formed.

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'll get a photo today, because I can't see a collar at all... It looks to be coming out of the actual ground...

My trees have buds on them, the nectarines in particular, they aren't huge yet but they are getting bigger and ready for May.

Latest posts