pruning apple trees

ridgefire

Leafing Out
Reaction score
When we bought our house 2 years ago there are 2 mature apple trees on the property. They are huge. But you can tell they have been neglected for years. There are branches crossing everywhere. All the apples fell off last year before they where ripe. The deer loved it. The first year we were there the apple were huge and sooooooo good. I would love to prune the tree but I don't know how much to take off and where to prune.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are those with more knowledge of pruning here than I have but I've tried to rescue a few old fruit trees for neighbors before. Don't take mine as a final word and you can look at what these folks have to say. The website was recommended by people with knowledge of the subject.

If I was attempting it - I'd take my tools and climb right into the middle of the tree. And, then I'd cut every branch until I could comfortably turn in a 360 circle and right up to the sky. All cuts would be made less than 1/2 inch from a better and remaining branch so that there are only short stubs. With the larger branches, I'd start the cut on the bottom, then take the saw out and cut thru from the top - that way, bark will not be torn from the tree as the branch falls.

After clearing the center, I'd climb down to the ground and walk around the underside of the tree, removing any branches that are growing downward and any branches that would impede a lawnmower pushed all the way to the trunk.

The rule of thumb is that no more than one third of the tree should be removed in any year. I've probably reached that point and should now stop. Next year, I can try for more precise pruning and maybe even some artistry.

Steve

Latest posts