Pruning tomatoes and cucumbers

rmonge00

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have tomatoes and cucumbers growing in my greenhouse and they are both huge right now!! I haven't done any pruning so far, but the plants are getting so big and bushy that I am thinking that I should have.... Can I still take suckers off of the tomato plants, even though they are big and thick and starting new plants of their own? Will this encourage disease? Can I prune the cucumbers? How do I do this? Do I just start cutting back some of the vines?

Thanks,

Ryan

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've never pruned cucumbers but I prune tomatos in the green house all the time and no matter how large they are it never seems to hurt them.

THANX RICH

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Ive never prune the cucumbers, I only trimmed the dead ends off, Last time my vine got the end broke off and killed it ! So I am afraid to prune them ! So I just let them go wild ! Maybe someone else knows better then me !

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do prune my tomato plants as they grow - I first stake them then prune any leaves that would touch the ground. I also pinch out most of the tiny leaves that grow in the leaf node as they will grow into fruiting branches if left. Once the plant is about 3 ft. tall I quit pinching anything above that height, but continue to keep the growth that would touch the ground off the plant. Sometimes that is no more than cutting part of a leafing section off rather than removing the whole thing.

Cukes I have never pruned. When they (or any vining plant) start overgrowing their space, I do turn the rambling growth back on itself to keep the area confined. I also grow my cukes up on four foot fencing to save space.

Love, Linn B (aka Smart Red) Gardening in zone 4b-5a, newly 5b? -- anyway, Im still in the same spot in south-est, central-est Wisconsin

Latest posts