Pumpkin leaves dying

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The leaves that are at the base of my pumpkin plants are dying off. The ends look pretty healthy, and I have several green pumpkins growing. Is this a harmless/expected occurrence, or should I be worried?

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is usually normal as the plant progresses the earlier leaves do tend to die back. Just make sure there is no damage near the base of the stem as this can be a sign of squash vine borer.

Also, make sure they are getting plenty of water. At this stage if the water intake is restricted this could result in smaller than expected pumpkins.

Good job on getting pumpkins!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had a few that were turning a little yellow but their neighbors weren't, so I fed them some chicken manure and they are starting to snap back. This week I had a few more with the same symptoms, so I am trying the manure again. Hope it works as well.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
it IS squash borer!! I found those little &^%$^( today! :barnie I yanked the really bad ones & buried the vines on the others. Hoping that I can salvage some!

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
it IS squash borer!! I found those little &^%$^( today! :barnie I yanked the really bad ones & buried the vines on the others. Hoping that I can salvage some!
Bt could help if you can get it into the plants soon. Also for the plants that aren't infected yet you might be able to wrap the base of the plants in aluminum foil or kraft paper.

Good luck!

Latest posts