Pumpkin Question...

Sarah_Mom2Four

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm in Zone 4 (in Minnesota) and I was just wondering is it too late to get pumpkins in from seed? Should I try and find a transplant. So far I've had no luck finding a transplant but I would LOVE to have pumpkins for pie and halloween! Thanks so much for any help you may have :D

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You may have a good chance of getting pumpkins by Halloween. The biggest problem I would see is that a frost might hit before they fully ripen. Most of the times, a ripe pumpkin can cure during a frost. Zone 4's approx first frost is around mid-September, right? That's about 90 days and there are some very early varieties.

I would recommend finding an early variety and planting it. Go for it.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, there are small pie pumpkins, and they make cute little Jack O'Lanterns, as well. Also, there are very small pumpkins which are excellent for fall decoration. I sometimes couple them with tiny multi-colored corn. (which can be found at stores these days, or the farmer's market.)

Good luck, I hope that you get some nice pumpkins! :)

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I was late last year but still do ok, and just last week I just forced mine in peat pots and one of those clear plastic trays, with enough heat they grow fast.

Sarah_Mom2Four

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thank you so much! I'm going to run to the nursery tomorrow over in the next town and hopefully they will have a plant that's already started, I told DH if he got me pumpkins I would make him fresh pumpkin pie and can extra filling for later, after he wiped the drool off his face he managed to nod, so I think we'll give it a go!

Latest posts