pumpkin surgery

RedClayGardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hello!

I planted pumkins a bit late this year, so to increase the chances that I would have a Halloween pumpkin I picked one plant and have been giving lots of TLC. Well "Bob" the chosen pumpkin has been coming along fine when I noticed the orangish goop from the squash vine borer on the stem. I assume there is a worm in there.

I did some research and one site suggested cutting into the stem under the hole and extracting the worm then burying the stem to encourage new root growth. Has anyone tried this before with any success? Pulling out an ugly squash vine borer is not my idea of fun so if anyone has any better suggestions on how to get to the sucker I'd be grateful to hear them.

Thanks!

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This may be a little too late but here goes anyway.

Yes, I have heard of people using the cut and bury method you described. I assume you'd need to establish the root before cutting though.

In the meantime you may be able to inject some Bt into the vine to try and get rid of the squash vine borers.

Good luck!

RedClayGardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks! The pumpkin is still alive. I don't have any Bt but I may try diatimaceous earth (I hope I spelled that right). Thanks for the encouragement!

Latest posts