Pumpkin vine question....

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I've read, in a couple of places and even on here, about clipping the ends off vines to increase nutrients to the fruit. I've also noticed that these extensive vines have small root systems of their own. I assume these roots are also mining moisture and nutrients from the soil like the main stem. If I clip them back, will this be compromising an important source of food and water to these plants. I mean, it forms those other root systems for that purpose, doesn't it? Also, will this leave an open area for bacterial and fungal infections?

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
if i want a large pumpkin I just allow only 1 or 2 pumpkins to grow on the plant or 1 on each arm. Ive never clipped the vines.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Clipping pumpkins vines is usuall done to either save the fruit from a frost or end of the season so that all the energy is diverted to the fruit and not new growth or sometimes in an attempt to get larger fruits. IME, cutting the tips never really has given any sizable difference in fruit production. I have cut the vines just to see if there was a difference, out of necessity due to lack of space and accidentally. Like I said, I've never seen a difference in size, sweetness or any other attribute.

If you do want larger pumpkins, do as ams3651 suggested, only let a couple of fruits grow per vine.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks! I have the size and amount that I want, so I won't be doing any clipping. I was just worried that I was putting stress on my plants by not clipping and worried I would add more stress of another kind, if I did! Does that make sense? :p

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Thanks! I have the size and amount that I want, so I won't be doing any clipping. I was just worried that I was putting stress on my plants by not clipping and worried I would add more stress of another kind, if I did! Does that make sense? :p
Makes perfect sense IMO. Good luck with your pumpkins!

Latest posts