Puppy + fish emulsion=bad dog!

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My 1 year old golden is a very good boy-never has done anything really wrong. But now that I am using fish emulsion he has gone after two of my planters (1 flowers, 1 newly transplanted watermelon plant). I guess it is the smell, since he hasn't touched the ones I have not used it on yet. I have scolded him, he learns quick. Any cool tricks just to cover my bases?:/

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
desertgirl said:
My 1 year old golden is a very good boy-never has done anything really wrong. But now that I am using fish emulsion he has gone after two of my planters (1 flowers, 1 newly transplanted watermelon plant). I guess it is the smell, since he hasn't touched the ones I have not used it on yet. I have scolded him, he learns quick. Any cool tricks just to cover my bases?:/
This is a hard one. One year, DH decided to bury the remains of a shark he caught (and we ate) as fertilizer in the garden. He just did this without consulting me. I would have been more reasonable - as always. Hours later we had two dogs that were stinking to high heavens and one of them was wrestling DH for the shark remains. NEVER AGAIN have we used fish in the yard. I know it's a great fertilizer, but... :sick

So the only thing I could think if is to put hardware cloth or something around the edges so he can't get in to dig? Hmmm... good luck! :idunno

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yeah-I kind rigged some impromptu fencing for tonight. I'll probably mix up a really smelly batch and a sacrificial plant, just to catch him in the act.

Then, it's on!:rant

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I think there's a product called "sour apple"? My co-worker's dog chewed off 2 of her newly planted trees, 4 plastic planters, and chewed through a chicken wire fence and then dug up her garden.
She sprayed sour apple on everything and the dog tried to chew on one planter, but stopped after tasting it!

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Catalina said:
I think there's a product called "sour apple"? My co-worker's dog chewed off 2 of her newly planted trees, 4 plastic planters, and chewed through a chicken wire fence and then dug up her garden.
She sprayed sour apple on everything and the dog tried to chew on one planter, but stopped after tasting it!
As a dog trainer I can say that that stuff works for some dogs, but not for others. Also, it won't work for digging. :/
Just some feedback before you spend money. Not trying to tread on toes. It's a good thought. :coolsun

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It's called Bitter Apple. It works on about 50% of dogs. Guess which half my dog falls into??!!!:rolleyes:

But you gave me a great idea that I probably never would have thought of. I used organic citronella oil to deter him from biting my hands when he was teething. That worked really well-and it wouldn't hurt my plants (and might keep bugs away as an added bonus).

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup

Latest posts