Putting broilers to work!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Today I got lucky going up to the WCA (Wicked Chicken Auction in Clayton, NC). I picked up 8 broiler birds who have to be somewhere between 5-8 weeks old already. 1-2 are easily over 6 lb each already. I paid about $2.25 each. Killer savings!

I'm glad I don't have to raise them inside, or the additional costs of feed for the first weeks. They go STRAIGHT out into the tractor coop.

Now it gets even better!

Many of my rows are covered in weeds, and some icky bugs were starting to do a number on the finished corn and sunflowers and I don't want them moving over to my beans and greens yet! So the chickens are out there for the next couple of weeks fertilizing the area for my winter plantings and being my weed control. They get fresh greens and some happy time in the garden, then I get a great clean garden and good chicken meat. I get the better end of the deal I suppose. :D

Anyways, I'm going to keep track of how well they do, and if 8 are enough. If this works out well, I'm going to make a spring and fall schedule for keeping meat birds in the garden for the best results for the garden. I'm asking myself questions now like, are 8 enough at a time, how long will it take them to go through all I need to be done? Will I have to send them off to freezer camp before they finish the job? How will this affect their meat. ???? And so on....

5842_broilers2.jpg

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It was an awesome deal, in fact, I so over did the deal.... I bought 15 originally! But I went in with someone else. The two of us bought every box of broilers they auctioned off yesterday! :ep

Then we had to split them up with someone else, and she had to sell a few. We didn't have room of the 32 birds total we bought! Hahahah

They had a few that were completely done for sale and ready to go home and straight to the freezer, but those sold for $6 each. I made sure I got every young one I could so I could work them first.

I hate weeding, so this is the plan now. :)

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
5 to 8 week old broilers for $2.25 is a great deal around here. Someone fed your chicks for you - for free. And they look to be in good condition. Many times I see naked birds or mal-nourished birds go for $3 each at our auctions. Ya done good, real good.

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My experience is that they eat your veggies. So let me know how it goes. As for the deal, SMOKIN'!

How fun. Love it!!!!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a great win-win situation! I will be looking forward to the full report!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
April Manier said:
My experience is that they eat your veggies. So let me know how it goes. As for the deal, SMOKIN'!

How fun. Love it!!!!
Hahaha... little brats are in a tractor coop I made and can only fit where I put them and can't reach the veggie through the wire. They're stuck only getting the bugs and weed under their feet until I move them. :)

Will get more pictures of the set up!