Putting out a late garden.

jacca5

Leafing Out
Reaction score
This year I thought I would put out a late garden. But I am not sure what I can plant or when to plant it. I have plenty of room left in my garden to plant more things now if I can. Things I would like to plant late are squash, okra, cabbage, potatoes, onions, peas(whatever variety does well when planted late), zucchini.

If anyone has any advice for more I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Texas Fluffy Feet

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I am doing this too- sorta. I have never planted things this late so it will be interesting. What gave me the idea was something I read in the Square Foot Gardening book. The author, Mel Barthamew states that now is a great time to plant. The soil has warmed and seeds will germinate faster. Check for your average first frost date and count back from there to calculate the time you have left. Plant things that have plenty of time to grow before then.

There are many fall pea and bean varieties and I know alot of folks are doing potatoes now. I think what you can do depends on where you are. I am sure one of the truly knowledgable gardeners on here will come along and give you some much better advice! good Luck with your garden!

Lea

jacca5

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Well I will look up the average frost date for my area we are ZONE 6 we live in central KY. I am so excited to do this I love working in the garden and eating out of it as well. I would love to do peas and beans plus some extras for our pigs and chickens. Thanks for the help.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Is there a nursery, or other place, which sells plant starts? If they still have some, you'd be ablle to grow more.

If you are starting from seeds, look at the information on each pack. Of all the varieties available, try to choose the ones which take less days to mature.

What type of peas do you mean? If you are having hot weather you should not bother with green peas, lettuce, or other cool weather crops.

Also, don't forget to plan a fall garden, so that you can eat well all winter, depending on where you are.

While you're looking at the seed section, you might want to pick up your fall planting seeds, which actually will go in as early as, say, August....again, that depends upon location.

At that time you might put in things like: garlic, cabbages, cauliflower, greens such as collards and kale, some carrot varieties etc. The packs should tell you what you need to know about when it's appropriate to plant a variety.

Good luck! :)

jacca5

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I would love to have a fall garden so I will check into that. This year has been a turning point for our family as far as growing our own vegetables and raising our own pork and having chickens (even though I can't eat them we do use the eggs). Would love to raise our own beef but that is a little pricey for us right now. I would like to grow enough to get us through most of the year and not have to buy.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Can you build a cold frame or even row covers with clear plastic? That will help hold heat in the ground and protect from frosts, so you can extend your season.

coopy

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I live in the Midwest as well. I plan on putting out Kale, Cabbage, more broccoli and maybe a few other things. If they are cool weather crops I will plant them in mid July to early August.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, Coopy, they are cool weather crops, along with all their ilk, such as collards, mustard, cauliflower, and brussel sprouts. I also put in garlic and carrots. :)

I think that's great, Jacca! It's very satisfying to be self-sufficient in as many ways as possible. :happy_flower

Latest posts