putting up pickles

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OK, DD and I made dill pickles yesterday. I had a bunch of cukes that were to big for much so we modified things. We (meaning she, haha) washed cut to length, and then cored (deseeded) the cukes, then sliced them to spears.

We mixed the pickling juice and boiled as the package says then loaded and processed the jars.

Now comes the most important question of all (for DD). When can we eat the pickles dad? So there it is, how long should we let them "pickle" before cracking open the first jar?

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
why dark? does the light have adverse reactions? and if so what are they?

nccountrygirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Dark help keep the pickles from turning dark and the liquid from turning cloudy, my granmama always keep hers in a utility room off of her kitchen. Alot of people store there caned goods in there basement if they have one.

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My pickles are usually ready to eat after 2 weeks, but, of course, the longer you let them sit (yes, in a cool dark place) the better they'll taste. It will take less time to pickle a cut cuc than a whole one also.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We jsut keep them on a shelf in the mud room. Down fall is that it is not dark in the slightest. Could I get away with DW making a curtain for the shelves?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Really you can open a jar as soon as you like but they won't be their proper 'self' for a coupla weeks. So it depends on whether you want Now or Good :)

Pat

averytds

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I can't seem to get DH to understand the whole "seasoning" process. I almost always have a partial jar I just put into the fridge that they all start on right away. I think of it like fresh coleslaw or pasta salad. Can you eat it and will it taste okay right away, well yeah. But they'll be even better if you let them sit awhile to blend.

Some of my jars have boxes and I just refill the empty boxes with the filled jars to store. Just remember to label the box.

A curtain would work too.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
ok, I broke down and cracked open a jar. After almost a week, pretty darn good pickles if I say so. Might have to make a few more.

Latest posts