Question about cross-pollinating peppers

Whitewater

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
So . . .

This year in my garden I'm planning on growing a bunch more peppers than last year, 'cause here in zone 4 the plants produced a half-dozen peppers each last summer . . . I need more peppers than that!

I know about cross-pollination and the fact that it happens in seeds, but I'm still wondering:

If I plant 2 green bell pepper plants amongst 4 other hot pepper plants (Anaheim chili and jalapeno) will the green pepper seeds take on aspects of the hot plants? Or vice versa? Will the green bells be hotter than normal? Will the chilies be sweeter?

My garden bed is only 20ish feet by 7ish feet, so I don't have a whole lot of room to keep the bells away from the hots.

Any advice? Am I worrying needlessly, or will I really have to separate the hots from the bells?

Whitewater

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You don't need to worry. I planted habeneros next to sweet bells last year without problems.
The cross polination happens with the next year's plant - IF you save seeds from year to year.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I say you're worry needlessly. ;)

Unless you want to germinate seeds from these next year, as Catalina suggested that is when you will have changes.

Good luck
Carlos

Whitewater

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks!

I just didn't want to bite into a *hot* green bell pepper, you know? I'm not the spicy type! :D

Whitewater

Latest posts