Question about Irises

yotetrapper

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I just bought some irises from a swap meet. The lady told me to plant them shallow, and that once I planted them I should cut off all the foliage. Is that the right information she gave me??

Dixiedoodle

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Yes. If planted too deep they will not bloom. We have red clay and I dug a big bunch of iris at my old house when I arrived at the new house it was raining. I cut the tops off dropped the iris beside a tree and forgot about them.. It rained for several days--when I finally thought about them, I was surprised to see they had started to send out roots--the clay had covered only a small amount of the bulb...I left them and they are beautiful...

yotetrapper

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Ok, I planted them shallow today... now it's pouring. Tomorrow I will cut off the foliage. Thanks!!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you're on clayey soil, plant them with nearly all of the, uh, corm or big root or whatever the heck it's botanically called :p aboveground. If you're on very fast-draining sandy soil, plant them with it only *barely* covered. Everywhere else, it should stick out of the ground somewhat but not totally. Don't mulch heavily over top of it.

If you're planting irises this time of year then it is probably worth reducing the foliage to 5" or so. I don't do that early or late in the year though and thus far they've all eventually survived. Do NOT cut off ALL the foliage.

Good luck and have fun,

Pat

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yes-I was gonna agree with Pat, Do not cut "all" the green off. The croms need some leaf left to gather and store energy for next years growth and flowers.
I love iris-their so adaptable.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Plant the rhizomes so the backs are exposed, and confirming what others have said, don't cut 'all' the foliage off, cut them down to about 4" high.

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
wait a couple years and you will see new bulbs that you can divide and plant elsewhere, I love them because they are so easy.

Latest posts