question about peas n beans harvest......

Gazinga

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
ok, so i have peas and pinto beans and black beans and green beans coming up now.

My question is.....once these plants bear vegitables, do i cut them down and replant for a second harvest if i have tim ein teh year to get in a second harvest, or, do i just leave the plants up and wil they contiue to bear more vegitabls on the same plants?

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don't have any experience with peas, just beans. My beans have always just kept producing as long as I let them.
My guess is that peas will do the same.

THANX RICH

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have planted snap beans, but just one plant per sqaure. Will I need more for a family of 3?

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Gazinga said:
ok, so i have peas and pinto beans and black beans and green beans coming up now.

My question is.....once these plants bear vegitables, do i cut them down and replant for a second harvest if i have tim ein teh year to get in a second harvest, or, do i just leave the plants up and wil they contiue to bear more vegitabls on the same plants?
As long as I keep them watered, I keep picking green beans all summer.. some catalogs tell you which ones hold up better in the heat. As far as peas go, they like cooler weather, and usually stop bearing and you can tell by the way the plant looks when they are done, and they quit blooming. So I would say green beans -water and tend and pick till frost , peas will quit on you after some early harvests at least the ones I have grown did.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree with 4grandbabies. Peas are cooler weather plants. I usually get one picking, then mine die when it gets hot.

I have had green beans produce all summer, especially pole beans, as long as I keep them picked and don't let the beans mature. My bush beans don't seem to produce as well over the summer. I have had both bush and pole beans die if they get hot and dry, so you do need to keep them watered.

Black beans and pinto beans are dried beans. There are a couple of different ways of harvesting them. If your late summer/early fall is dry enough, you can leave them on the vine until they quit producing and the beans dry up. Then you can pull up the whole plant for the harvest, at least with the bush beans. I think that is pretty much what the commercial growers do, with machinery of course. But if you get a wet spell, the dried beans can rot or, more likely, sprout in the pod. Or you can pick the pods as the beans inside mature and the pods start turning color. I've heard, but do not know for sure, that the plants will continue producing more beans if you do this. I think that depends on how much you let the pods mature before you pick them.

I'd suspect your black and pinto beans are bush beans but your green beans could easily be either. If you planted pole beans, you need to stake them. It depends on the variety of peas you planted, but most pea varieties do better if staked or supported.

Hope this helps.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yup, IME peas are usually done when they're done, they don't do hot weather, you can plant late melons if it's still soon enough in the season or you can leave the space open for a few wks til it is time to put in fall crops.

Beans, it depends. IME pole beans generally produce forever and ever, til frost or til their trellis or teepee falls over :p; bush beans will produce the full length of a season up *here* but when I lived in NC I do not remember getting nearly that much length of harvest out of them.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I agree with everyone... your beans can keep going in the summer while your peas have quit. I've never done well with a second planting in fall, with peas you can try if its a long mild fall.

As for black beans though, they will produce beans you need to let dry on the vine for storage. While the beans on their are drying they'll eventually stop producing.

I hope that helps.

~Shannon

Gazinga

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
thnaksall, and sorry grow for food, im sure they will sprout up soon........hopefully

Latest posts