Question about plants freezing

TillinWithMyPeeps

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Tonight it is supposed to get down to 24-29 degrees. (Yes, for you southerners, that is degrees Fahrenheit ;) ) The Home Depot here has started their 75% off sale. They have nice plants for very reasonable prices, well developed trees and berry bushes will only be $3-4 with this sale. I was thinking about stopping by tomorrow to pick up some of the discount plants, but would they still be alive after the freezing? These are just in the standard black 1-5 gallon plastic pots.

This is probably more of a Pat question than a Joe question. :lol:

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I would think they should be fine. I would try several and think what do I have to lose? A few dollars and some time. As long as they are plants that are ok to grow in your zone. Sometimes you have to watch the plants the stores bring in. I was going to buy some plants while living in Calgary, Alberta and found they were not the right zone and wouldn't have survived the winter anyway.

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yes that's true. A Lowe's near us was selling fruit trees that needed way more chill hours than we would get in our coldest year. And people just buy them anyway.

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
TillinWithMyPeeps said:
Tonight it is supposed to get down to 24-29 degrees. (Yes, for you southerners, that is degrees Fahrenheit ;) )

This is probably more of a Pat question than a Joe question. :lol:
You are right I would have to put some plants in my freezer for a few days to be able to answer that question!

Joe
tree10.gif

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
They'll do fine. They're going dormant this time of year anyway. I would get them in the ground as soon as you can. Water them in, but don't start the heavy regular watering (that you do for new trees) until spring comes. As long as the ground isn't frozen you can still plant them.

And grab that sale while you can! :weee

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just one night into the twenties won't harm the roots of 1 gal and larger plants.

However there is a fairly good chance that some/many/most/all of them have been abused so badly in the previous several months, by irregular watering and so forth, that they may not be viable. Your best hope would be things that HD got as a late shipment from *their* supplier remaindering things; or that your particular HD has an unusually responsible garden center manager.

Take a real close look at things before you buy them. I too have gotten a couple of genuine bargains from HD but at least where I've lived, the MAJORITY of their stuff is pretty much doomed by now.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Can you give those trees and bushes some love for the next week or so before planting them?! You'd give them a better chance!

I have to say, we got a WONDERFUL peach tree from Home Depot this year. It was in great shape, I was surprised. We planted earlier then I would have liked.... but we mulched with grass clippings, gave a little bit of fertilizer... but the big thing I think that helped, we crushed up asprin and watered the tree with 1 pill crushed up in a watering can every other day for a week.

Just a suggestion dear... but I wouldn't pass up that sale to try!

Latest posts